- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Paperback – Nov 26 2007
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Robert G. Freeman is an Oracle Database 10g Oracle Certified Professional that has been working with Oracle databases for well over 15 years. He is a Principle Datababase Engineer for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, Ut. He resides near Salt Lake with his wife, three of his five kids and cats, dogs and an airplane. Robert is the author or co-author of several Oracle Press titles including Oracle9i New Features, Oracle Database 10g New Features, Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery and Portable DBA: Oracle.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
However, Freeman has done a great job for those of us "in the middle" who are neither beginners or world-class experts. The explanations and "here's why you care" approach make for an approachable read and a value-directed understanding of the material. The practical tips aid understanding and will save a great deal of (billable?) time.
I would still recommend reading the Oracle documentation, and of course these new features must be tested in the crucible of real environments. But buy the book, enjoy the organized approach and the time you'll save by studying it. I recommend it to my user group and co-workers.
I love the clarity, simplicity and robust examples provided by Robert Freeman.
I have rated this book with 4 stars(not 5) as I found one error and one topic that I would say is missing:
1) Error, at page 281
"Manually loaded plans are automatically fixed.Oracle will mark plans as fixed when they are evolved..."
This is not true, plans are just accepted, but not fixed when they are loaded manually.
Should be "Manually loaded plans are automatically accepted.Oracle will mark plans as accepted when they are evolved..."
Robert actually in the next section at page 282 describes correctly that evolving a plan means actually to change it from not accepted to accepted.
2) Missing, a complete description about SecureFiles new feature.
Only at page 209 Robert briefly describes SecureFiles on a half of a page.
Unfortunately the 11g upgrade OCP exam has a big chunk of the questions about SecureFiles.
Knowing or not knowing about SecureFiles can make you pass or faile the OCP exam.
I am sure when Robert Freeman wrote this book the OCP exam topics had not been probably defined.
Great book anyway, it did help me pass the OCP 11g upgrade exam.
Thank you Robert Freeman.
I bought it along with similar book wrote by Sam Alapati. I started reading this one first as there are big names associated with this book, Tom Kyte and Arup Nanda.
Well, this book was rushed to the printers. It has tons of errors. The examples, diagrams, don't match the description. The explaination is too short or incomplete.
If you are choosing between this one and the Sam Alapati one, then save your money and go for the other one.
I have read both, and the second one is 10 times better than this book.
Every time I upgrade Oracle to a new version I read the Oracle release notes, new features and all other related books.
This time I chose this book and I must say that it is much easier and clear than other Oracle material I read before.
It is well organized, the chapters are detailed and the material is well understood.
Go get it!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Data Warehousing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Oracle
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Relational Databases
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Compression
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Memory Management
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Security & Encryption > Encryption
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design