Want to know how to write an HTML form to do HTTP Authentication? Want to know about PHP's POSIX file function? Want to know how about the Oracle database architecture? What about PHP strings, objects, and error handling? Need to learn about Oracle's SQL, PL/SQL, LOBs, REF CURSORS...? Want to know how to use Oracle's BULK COLLECT functionality to improve performance? Or simply need to install Oracle, PHP and Apache for the first time and create a web page? It's all here.
The book comes complete with a CD containing all necessary software for Windows and Linux. This includes the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition, Zend Core for Oracle's PHP stack, and the Apache web server. The CD also contains the extensive sample code and lots of useful documentation.
The author's solid-gold pedigree with Oracle technologies includes working at Oracle and writing "Expert Oracle PL/SQL" for Oracle Press. This experience shows. But the Oracle-centricity of the author does not impact the PHP aspect of PHP Web Programming. The first half of its 700+ pages is devoted purely to PHP. His current position as a professor at Brigham Young University brings a thoroughness to the text, and, no doubt, his students were helpful in developing ideas.
This fully-featured book will expand everyone's knowledge of Oracle and PHP.
Disclaimer: This is an Oracle Press book and obviously associated with my employer. I reviewed an early contents list and have been acknowledged in the book. (Christopher Jones on OPAL 2006-11-13)
From the Back Cover
Develop robust Web applications for Oracle databases by using PHP and the detailed information in this comprehensive and exclusive Oracle Press guide. Oracle Database 10g Express Edition PHP Web Programming covers all the bases. You'll learn how to define data types, functions, and arrays, as well as how to write enterprise applications for the Internet and e-commerce applications. Real-world examples, detailed explanations, and annotated syntax illustrate each point along the way.
- Install, configure, and maintain Oracle XE, Apache, and PHP
- Work with variables, statements, functions, classes, and objects
- Define, sort, merge, and partition PHP arrays
- Perform error management and exception handling
- Implement data I/O with local and remote programs and memory segments
- Control user access with HTTP authentication and Access Control Lists
- Ensure transaction integrity using cookies, URL rewriting, and sessions
- Establish connections to Oracle Database 10g instances
- Encrypt and secure PHP Web and e-commerce communications
- Debug applications and tune performance