- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Oracle SQL*Plus: The Definitive Guide Paperback – Nov 26 2004
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'One puzzling aspect of the O'Reilly series is how the publishers have managed to find such competent authors when other companies seem unable to get anyone who can string a sentence together. You really get the feeling that the authors want to tell you how to solve a problem rather than demonstrate how clever they are. ... Oracle SQL*Plus is a strong candidate for the bookshelf, with information you'd otherwise have to check in four of the Oracle manuals, and There's a human voice helping you.' Computer Shopper, July 2000 --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Publisher
This book is the definitive guide to SQL*Plus, Oracle's interactive query tool. Despite the wide availability and usage of SQL*Plus, few developers and DBAs know how powerful it really is. This book introduces SQL*Plus, provides a syntax quick reference, and describes how to write and execute script files, generate ad hoc reports, extract data from the database, query the data dictionary tables, use the SQL*Plus administrative features (new in Oracle8i), and much more. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Oracle Sql Plus: The Definitive Guide is really interesting to read. The author writes in a friendly style and depicts each topic with lots of examples ( so many and so usful that you can add to your own libraries ).
Personally, I am much appealed by the author's discussion on reporting, writing scripts and setting environment. If you are not familiar with any of these, you will be greatly awarded when finishing the book. I can bet it!
For instance, when it comes to looping, on page 254 you can read "There is no way to write a real loop using SQL*Plus." If you see this, you won't search through another 100 pages of manual trying to find a meaningful example. Excellent, correct, and an excellent balance between conciseness and completeness.
I have even adopted this book for my undergraduate database class.
Having said all that, I still regularly use this book as a reference and continue to learn from it.
Most recent customer reviews
Jonathan Gennick and co did a good job here. This "Oracle SQL Plus: The Definitive Guide" would be appreciated by most users, although that advanced SQL users who thirst... Read morePublished on Jan. 12 2003 by reviewer
As a mainframe programmer making the transition to the client-server environment, I found this book to be a great introduction to SQL*Plus. Read morePublished on March 15 2001
Oracle was new to me, although I've worked with other RDBMSs, and I needed a reference for the SQL Plus interface. Gennick's book turned out to be just the thing. Read morePublished on Oct. 27 2000 by Judy Bowman
I'm a newbie, as far as ORACLE is concerned, I have used a similar Database management system - UniVision, which has it's own language (Vision), I found this book an excellent... Read morePublished on Aug. 18 1999
This book is usefull only for extracting data. There is nothing about inserting updating or deleating. How can it be called "Definitive"?Published on June 16 1999
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Systems Analysis & Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Data Mining
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Data Warehousing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Oracle > PL & SQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Relational Databases
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > Computer Dictionaries
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Computer
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages