- Visit the McGraw-Hill Technical Store for resources to learn more and do more.
Oracle9i PL/SQL Programming Paperback – Nov 28 2001
Special Offers and Product Promotions
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Maximize Built-In PL/SQL Features
Create robust PL/SQL programs to access an Oracle database from a variety of environments. Officially authorized by Oracle Corporation, Oracle9i PL/SQL Programming explains the major features of the language and the variances in PL/SQL between different database versions. You'll learn to develop, test, and debug your PL/SQL applications and work in different development environments. You'll also get specifics on SQL and PL/SQL usage, error handling, collections, subprograms and packages, and advanced features.
- Work in various PL/SQL development and execution environments, demo versions of which are included on the CD-ROM
- Get details on PL/SQL syntax, variables, datatypes, expressions, operators, and control structures
- Ensure data consistency using SQL transaction-control statements
- Use cursors for multirow queries and explicit control of SQL statement processing
- Write PL/SQL programs that detect and react intelligently to runtime errors
- Take advantage of the multi level collection capabilities of Oracle9i
- Create and use procedures, functions, and packages
- Develop DML, instead-of, and system triggers to enforce complex data constraints
- Exploit advanced PL/SQL features, including external routines, native dynamic SQL, bulk binds, and object types
CD-ROM Contains Sample Code and Development Environments from the Book
About the Author
Scott Urman (Foster City, CA) is a senior member of the diagnostic and defect technical staff in the Language Group of Oracle Support Services, where he aids users of Oracle's various language products (PL/SQL, OCI, and the Oracle precompilers). In addition, he reviews Oracle technical documentation, writes white papers on Oracle languages, and makes technical presentations both inside Oracle and at meetings of Oracle User's Groups. Scott is the best-selling author of Oracle Press' Oracle PL/SQL Programming and Oracle8 PL/SQL Programming.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
But the subtittle of the book is definitely misleading. When it comes to advanced topics, the book simply copies from the online documentation from Oracle, but only the brief summery. Say, function DECODE, one of the most powful feature in PL/SQL, is covered in half a page! Just the official definition. Nothing to read about. If you bought Oracle 9i The Complete Reference, you'd find a whole chapter devoted to that function.
The author didn't do much work with this book. If you're a serious programmer, don't bother with this book.
The 8i edition of this book is is 978 pages. The 2001 edition of the 9i book is 631. The 9i book has much less content than the 8i book even though more features have been added to Oracle 9i. There is also a large "Advanced" 8i PL/SQL Programming book because the basic book is just not big enough at 978 pages!
My conclusion is that while you MUST own this book, the 9i book does not adequately cover PL/SQL programming. Too much is left to the reader to puzzle-out on his own using other books and resources like Metalink or on-line documents. Why the book shrunk since 8i is a real mystery . . .
Most recent customer reviews
This book rocks!! It covers everything one needs for the exam except for some topics of dependency. I scored a perfect 100% in the 1z0-147 because of this book!!Published on April 14 2008 by Just another guy in IT
This is a well written, fast reading book that provides the reader with the information needed but not with the fluff that we do not need. Read morePublished on Feb. 19 2004 by Todd Howard
This is a pretty decent book with plenty of advanced topics. Other than the fact that not all the advanced topics were covered I'm pretty happy with this edition.Published on Aug. 26 2003 by SJ
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Publisher > Osborne-McGraw-Hill
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Oracle > PL & SQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Relational Databases
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages