- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Orphan of Asia Hardcover – Jan 31 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Wu's autobiographical novel, completed in 1945 at the end of Japan's colonial rule of Taiwan, and here translated into English for the first time, traces the path of Hu Taiming. Raised in a traditional Taiwanese family, he retains an admiration for China, his ancestral homeland. Even within his own family, Taiming is pulled in opposite directions. His grandfather, Old Hu, takes him to study classic literature at a Chinese school. Old Hu's nephew, Zhida, a policeman who speaks Japanese, causing his family to treat him like a stranger, thinks Taiming should attend the more modern public school. He does, then later travels to Japan for further study. A friend gets him a teaching job in China, but Taiming is forced to leave because of growing anti-Taiwanese sentiment. Back in Taiwan, Taiming, trusted by few, feels like "a small rudderless boat drifting between the currents of two epochs." Wu's novel provides a unique and perceptive look at the consequences of colonial rule and at the roots of some of today's Asian conflicts. Deborah Donovan
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
"It serves as an eye-opener to a less well-known chapter of Taiwan's history." -- Library Journal "Unique and perceptive look at the consequences of colonial rule and at the roots of some of today's Asian conflicts." -- Deborah Donovan, Booklist "The novel offers a rich panorama filled with telling economic and political details... The cumulative effect is devastating." -- KirkusSee all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Also the characters are amazing and I felt so connected to them. I felt that I was growing older as I was reading it, that I was there with Taiming.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Antiques & Collectibles
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Art
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > History
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Literature
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature