This fully revised third edition has been extensively updated and rewritten to reflect over ten years of new research on understanding and treating depression, particularly the importance of developing compassionate ways of thinking, behaving and feeling. Overcoming Depression outlines Paul Gilbert’s compassionate approach to a very common disorder. One of the world’s leading psychologists, Gilbert outlines a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-based program which contains user-friendly step-by-step suggestions, case studies, and practical ideas to help sufferers of depression take control of their lives. Including two new chapters and guided exercises that counteract negative thoughts and feelings,Overcoming Depression teaches readers how to develop the compassionate attention and behavior needed to conquer their illness.
Accessible and practical,Overcoming Depression is a must-have manual for people who are depressed, and is also a great resource to their friends and families, psychologists, and those working in the medical profession.
- Explains the causes of depression and why it is such a common disorder
- Uses a step-by-step approach based on CBT techniques for relief
- Includes material on all types of depression
- Describes how the mind and body can interact to provoke depression
- Considers related issues such as shame, anger, perfectionism, and guilt