Oxford Anthology of the Brazilian Short Story Paperback – May 15 2007
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"Lionel Trilling once wrote that literature makes us aware of 'the high authority of the self in its quarrel with its society and its culture. Literature is in that sense subversive.' Jackson has gathered between these covers Brazilian masters of subversion from Machado de Assis in the 19th Century to our contemporaries such as Lygia Fagundes Telles, Nelida Pinon and Moacyr Scliar. The translations are impeccable and Jackson's introductions are helpful and reliable road maps. What bounty!"--Ricardo da Silveira Lobo Sternberg, University of Toronto
"A marvelous collection of wonderful short stories, some already well-known and some which will become well-known as the result of this anthology. Particularly laudable is the resurrection of scattered and forgotten translations. Jackson's multiple introductions are thorough, sensitive, and highly readable. The book is a tremendous new resource." --David T. Haberly, University of Virginia
"A reader looking for a concise introduction to Brazilian literature will find it in this remarkable assemblage of texts, while those well acquainted with the tradition will find works that would be very difficult, or even impossible, to access otherwise. Jackson writes with rigour and clarity, and the links he establishes between the diverse texts, writers and periods constitute an excellent brief course on the development and significance of Brazilian literature." --Paulo de Medeiros, University of Utrecht
About the Author
K. David Jackson is Professor of Portuguese at Yale University.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Latin American
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Anthologies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Collections & Readers