- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
PHP and MySQL For Dummies Paperback – Dec 9 2009
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Learn to use the tools that bring Web sites to life it's easy and fun!
Static Web sites don't cut it anymore. To serve up HTML, CSS,and database-driven pages, you need to know your way around PHP and a MySQL backend database. This book shows you how to build two common applications: a product catalog and a member-only site requiring a username and password. You'll learn a basic design you can expand however you choose!
New to all this? get acquainted with PHP and MySQL and find out how to install them on Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®
A perfect partnership see how the language and database work together to produce dynamic Web pages with less hassle
MySQL moving and storage store data in your database and display it on your Web pages
Up to code learn to build PHP scripts and program pieces with code that meets the latest standards
The sum of the parts organize all the parts of your application, ensure security, and complete your documentation
Visit the companion Web site at www.dummies.com/go/php&mysqlfd4e to find all the code examples used in the book
Open the book and find:
How to keep up with PHP and MySQL updates
What's different in the newest versions
Pros and cons of Web hosting companies
How to back up and restore data in your database
Error messages and what they mean
Why you must plan your database application
Advice on what offers value to your users
Ten "gotchas" that will mess up your code
About the Author
Janet Valade is a technical writer, Web designer/programmer, and systems analyst. She has designed and developed data archives, supervised computer resource operations, and conducted seminars and workshops. She has written all previous editions of PHP & MySQL For Dummies.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The biggest problem I have with this book is the countless typos, particularly in the code (which is the worst place for typos). Pretty disappointing for a 4th edition. For example, on the very last page (438, the index), it lists, under 'Y', ysquli_num_fields($result) function, but it is actually "mysqli....." (with the m in front). It is sometimes inconsistant with variable functions (like $firstname vs $firstName) which can cause problems, it talks about the "xor" operator but refers to it once as "or" which causes confusion, most of the time the die() function is used, there is a space before the parenthesis (which I haven't tested myself to see if that is ok, but I would think a function needs the parenthesis right after the word with no space). Some other things that annoy me are more annoying than they are serious, like inconsistant spacing in code, or I saw once where the '$' mark before an in-text variable name that wasn't formatted with the same font as the variable name itself. Also, the author's use of HTML doesn't really jive with me (some minor coding problems) but it's not a huge deal either. Or, there are some places where quote marks in code are bottom-quote-marks (looks like double-commas) instead of normal quote marks as they should look. These are mainly annoyances and not serious problems if you know to keep your eyes open.
The book has you work through examples, and then has the programs written out later on so you can go look at what they did.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Specific Databases > MySQL & mSQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > For Dummies - Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > Introductory Guides
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Databases > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Programming > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Software > General
- Books > For Dummies Store > Computers & Internet > Web Development > Scripting & Programming
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages