PHP5 and MySQL Bible Paperback – May 7 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
If PHP5 and MySQL can do it, you can do it too...
PHP and MySQL form a powerful team, and if you have some fluency with HTML, this comprehensive guide will have you creating database-backed, PHP-driven Web sites in no time. Along with the new features of PHP5, youll learn to install, administer, and use MySQL 4.0 in database design. From getting started with PHP to connecting HTML Web pages to MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle®, youll find what you need to take advantage of all this dynamic duo has to offer.
Inside, youll find complete coverage of PHP5 and MySQL
- Resolve common "gotchas" with a series of symptom/diagnosis/fix patterns
- Discover how to use PHP with Oracle and PostgreSQL as well as MySQL
- Use PHP to embed code fragments in normal HTML pages
- Find out how the new PHP5 parser supports genuine exception handling and a more complete object model
- Understand Zend Engine 2 and the new object model, with support for private/protected members, abstract classes, and interfaces
- Install MySQL and learn to administer it successfully, including backups, replication, and recovery
- Write MySQL-backed PHP applications
- Learn from case studies how to design and implement a Weblog, a user identification system, and other applications
About the Author
Tim Converse has written software to recommend neckties, answer questions about space stations, pick value stocks, and make simulated breakfast. He has an M.S. in Computer Science from the University of Chicago, where he taught several programming classes. He is now an engineering manager in the Web search group at Yahoo!.
Joyce Park has an M.A. in history from the University of Chicago, and has worked for several Silicon Valley startups including Epinions, KnowNow, and Friendster. She is a co-lead of the Mod-pubsub Open Source project.
Clark Morgan is a Web application and educational software developer with more than five years’ experience writing PHP. He works primarily with medical clients and related businesses. Originally from Boston, he now lives and works in Jacksonville, Florida, with his wife and two children. Clark spends entirely too much of his free time reading other people’s computer books.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
This book covers a lot of PHP but the examples are awful and the layout of them are even worse.
Altough they recommend some coding standard, they unfortunately do not implent it in the examples themselves.
The chapters jump back and forth and if you like to know something about object orientated programming in PHP then stay away from this book. It will not teach you, but it is merely a explanation for C or Java programmers.
This is not really a PHP5 book, but a brushed up PHP4 book. The MySQL version examples are still 4.0, which suprices me as 4.1 is released at the same time as PHP5 and has some important changes regarding PHP. The authors of this book did only explain one chapter MySQL with MyISAM tables and there is nothing to be found for the InnoDB version.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Thank you PHP5 and MySQL Bible.
The one OO chapter is not much more than is in the PHP manual. I got it and wish I hadn't. Overall it's long-winded and the humor is dry. Tons of useless chatter in between the information you really want.
I have read this book in whole and these are the facts as I know them.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Specific Databases > MySQL & mSQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > PHP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL