LUMIX DMC-ZS20 Digital Camera
Perfect for travel, Panasonic's compact, high zoom cameras make it easy to shoot beautiful photos and HD movies. Shoot everything from sweeping vistas at the 25mm wide-angle setting to dynamic telephoto shots with this versatile high zoom photographic tool.
- 14.1 Mpx high-sensitivity MOS sensor
- 20x optical zoom
- 40x intelligent zoom
- 24 mm wide-angle LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR lens
- 3.0" Intelligent touchscreen LCD (460K pixels)
- Wide viewing angle
- Still images (3D recording)
- Light Speed AF
- 10 fps burst mode @ full resolution
- Venus engine image processor
- Intelligent resolution technology
- AVCHD Full HD Progressive/MP4 movie mode with stereo mic and zoom
- Dolby Digital Stereo Creator
- Travel mode with GPS
- Intelligent auto mode
- POWER O.I.S. (Optical image stabilizer) with Active mode
- Intelligent ISO control
- Face detection
- Face recognition
- AF tracking
- Intelligent scene selector
- Intelligent exposure control
- Digital red-eye correction
- Motion deblur
- Intelligent HDR (High dynamic range)
- Mini HDMI output
- USB charging function (AC adapter)
- Li-ion rechargeable battery
LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR lens with high optical zoom
LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR lens
The DMC-ZS20 features a 24 mm wide-angle LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR lens with 20x optical zoom (35 mm equivalent: 24 - 480 mm) in a compact body. The lens unit comprises 12 elements in 10 groups, with 2 ED (Extra-low dispersion) lenses and 3 aspherical lenses / 6 aspherical surfaces to achieve high optical performance while maintaining compactness. This lens gives you all the power and flexibility you need to take remarkable telephoto, wide-angle, or macro shots, and dramatic portraits. The ZS series inherits the fine rendering and outstanding quality of the LEICA ELMAR lens, enabling these easy-to-carry cameras to deliver beautiful pictures any time, any place.
Advantages of the 24 mm wide-angle lens
The 24 mm wide-angle lens lets you easily capture large groups of people indoors or expansive architectural structures and scenes with dynamic width and rich perspective, even from short distances. This high-quality LEICA DC lens minimizes distortion at the wide end.
Nano surface coating
Nano Surface Coating technology dramatically minimizes light reflection at the entire visual light range (380 nm - 780 nm) by applying an extra-low refractive index coating with nano-sized structure on the surface of the lens. It results in super clear images with dramatic reduction of ghost and flare. With this Panasonic black box technology, the image delivered through the lens has exceptional optical performance with stunning clarity that passes LEICA's stringent standards.
40x iA zoom (Intelligent zoom)
The iA (Intelligent zoom) is an extensive zoom function using digital zoom, however, you can even draw the subject 2x closer than the original optical zoom with minimum deterioration of image quality thanks to Intelligent resolution technology. You can virtually extend the 20x optical zoom to 40x equivalent.
Intelligent HDR (High dynamic range)
HDR is an image processing technique that can make photos look more natural. This feature automatically combines a burst of several photos taken at different exposure levels. The resulting image shows more detail in both bright and dark areas.
High sensitivity MOS sensor with Venus Engine
High sensitivity MOS sensor: 1/2.33-inch, 14.1 Mpx high-resolution
To realize the 1,920 x 1,080 full-HD movie recording with high image quality, a 14.1 Mpx MOS sensor was developed for the DMC-ZS20. For the effective concentration of light, the newly developed sensor adopts microfabrication technology to achieve even higher sensitivity. With an advanced micro light tube structure, both colour mixture and signal loss are prevented. The result is that the photo and movie shot at any sensitivity (from low to high) have outstanding clarity.
VENUS Engine incorporates exceptional advanced signal processing capabilities. By separating chromatic noise from luminance noise and applying the optimal noise reduction to each, you can capture clear and beautiful images even when shooting at high ISO sensitivity levels. The VENUS Engine also provides precise selective noise reduction to the chromatic noise without affecting the border of colours which is judged from the brightness level of a pixel. Seamless integration with the MOS sensor, allows the VENUS Engine to process a large amount of signals at high speed, making it possible to record high resolution consecutive shots and Full HD movie recording.
Intelligent resolution technology
Tiny nuances that used to be invisible are now crisp and clear, and every part of the image is breathtakingly beautiful. LUMIX's Intelligent resolution technology automatically identifies areas with outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradation areas, and optimizes the edge emphasis on the outlines and detailed texture areas while using the VENUS Engine noise reduction process to make the soft gradation areas smoother. This lets the iA mode do much more than just take great shots automatically. It adds delicate detail that exceeds even optical image quality in both photo and movie recording.
- Outlines: Clearly emphasizes the outlines between subject and background.
- Detailed texture areas: Heightens the intricacy of detailed area.
- Soft gradation areas: The superior noise reduction system of the VENUS Engine is applied to make it smoother.
Light speed AF
Light Speed AF of approximately 0.1 seconds never misses fleeting photo opportunities. This quick response makes it easier to capture sudden, spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities with Light Speed AF (0.1 sec), which lets you lock on the subject.
Full resolution burst shooting
The ZS series lets you snap off consecutive shots at 10 fps (max) with full resolution and 60 fps in 2.5 Mpx mode or 40 fps in 3 Mpx mode. You can take a series of shots and then choose the ones you like best and delete the rest. You can also select Hi-speed from Scene mode.
Low energy consumption
The energy-saving VENUS Engine image-processor and our efficient, rechargeable lithium-ion battery work together to extend the shooting time, making it possible to take approximately 220-260 photos (varies by model), on a single battery charge despite the large, bright and high-resolution LCD.
Intelligent auto mode (iA)
Intelligent auto technology
The camera will set the most appropriate settings to match the subject and the recording conditions which is perfect for beginners or those who want to leave the settings to the camera and take pictures easily.
- Continuous AF: The continuous AF function automatically and continuously focuses on your subject, providing a clear, sharp focus even for moving subjects. This is ideal for capturing images of animals in nature and sports or other events, and is equally handy for taking photos of children and pets. It helps to ensure that pictures of sudden shooting opportunities will not be out of focus or blurry.
- Digital red-eye reduction/correction: iA mode also helps avoid the red-eye problem you get when taking flash shots at night. Red-eye reduction for the built-in flash works by emitting a small preliminary flash before the main flash. Furthermore, thanks to the digital red-eye correction function, red-eye problems are automatically detected and corrected digitally.
- Face detection: The face detection function detects faces anywhere in the frame and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure. You can take clear, beautiful portrait shots easily. It detects up to 15 faces in a photo, and automatically readjusts the settings if their positions change. In iA mode, the quick AF function automatically begins focusing without having to press the shutter button halfway, so the shooting process is smooth and easy.
- Face recognition: Our popular Intelligent Auto (iA) mode expands with the addition of Face recognition--a feature that "remembers" faces from previous shots. When a registered face appears in the frame, the camera will prioritize focus and exposure to capture it beautifully. With Face recognition, when a familiar face is recorded several times, the camera will prompt the user to register the face. Once registered, if the face appears into the frame again, the camera will display the name specified for that person and prioritize focus and exposure so that the registered face is bright and sharply focused.
- Light detection--Intelligent exposure: The camera instantly analyzes the framed image and adjusts the brightness in areas that are too dark due to dim lighting, backlighting or use of the flash. Adjusting the brightness of dark areas this function produces natural images that are close to the way they actually look to the human eye.
- Motion detection--Intelligent ISO control: Thanks to Intelligent ISO control, the camera can determine whether or not the subject is moving. If the subject is moving, Intelligent ISO control changes the ISO sensitivity and shutter speed accordingly. You get clear, beautiful shots with no motion blur even when photographing kids who won't stay still.
- Scene detection--Intelligent scene selector: When the camera is iA mode, the Intelligent scene selector senses the ambient conditions and automatically selects either Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night portrait or Night scenery mode accordingly. It makes several other advanced image settings too, so you're assured of getting beautiful results every time you shoot, no matter what the scene or subject. With the Intelligent scene selector doing all the complicated work for you, you'll find photography easier than ever to enjoy.
- Shake detection--POWER O.I.S.: LUMIX cameras now render nightscapes and other dark scenes, which tend to blur due to their slower shutter speeds, with even more natural beauty. The POWER O.I.S. image stabilizer has doubled* the corrective power of previous models, making it possible to take beautiful nighttime photos with one hand. You do not need to raise the ISO sensitivity, even in dimly lit areas, so you are able to capture photos with less noise. POWER O.I.S. is an original, advanced LUMIX technology that is leading the way for some remarkable new possibilities in compact cameras.
- Subject detection--AF tracking: Once you focus on your subject, AF tracking automatically tracks it until you press the shutter. When you're taking pictures of an active subject, like children or pets, this function eliminates the need to press the shutter button halfway down repeatedly to readjust the focus. AF tracking makes sure you don't miss those once-in-a-lifetime shooting opportunities.
Motion picture button
Press the button and the camera starts recording right away, regardless of whether it's in Rec or Play mode. You're ready to shoot quickly when there is a sudden shooting opportunity. It automatically selects the most suitable Scene mode and helps to correct handshake, focus and brightness problems--making iA mode your one-stop solution to capture beautiful still and motion images. By optimizing these settings, the camera allows you to shoot stunning motion images.
AVCHD Progressive format (DMC-ZS20): 1920 x 1080 60p (NTSC) Full HD video
The DMC-ZS20 can record high-resolution Full HD 1,920 x 1,080 60p (NTSC) videos in AVCHD Progressive (MPEG-4 / H.264) format. Upgrading the Full HD recording capability from interlaced to progressive, subjects with fast motion or fine details are reproduced even more clearly.
High resolution Intelligent LCD
The ZS series has a 3.0" LCD high resolution of 460,000 dots. This large LCD lets everyone view images together and its crisp clarity is ideal for shooting and viewing photos. The ZS series features an Intelligent LCD function that automatically controls the LCD brightness. Under bright sunlight, the Auto power LCD function increases the backlight brightness in 9 steps according to the ambient light intensity. In dimly lit locations, it adjusts the frame rate of live images in 2 steps according to the ambient darkness. At the highest of these 11 steps, the LCD backlight becomes 1.4x (maximum) brighter than normal. This makes both shooting and viewing photos easier and more convenient. This makes both shooting and viewing photos easier and more convenient.
23 Area AF
The number of AF areas has been increased to 23. The camera automatically determines the most appropriate AF area from the 23 points. This ensures accurate focusing even for difficult compositions. You can also select the AF setting from five patterns -- Face AF, 1-area AF, Spot AF and AF tracking -- according to your shooting situation. Plus, Quick AF makes sure you won't miss those sudden shooting opportunities.
The large touchscreen interface achieves amazing ease in both shooting and playing back images. LUMIX proposes a hybrid operation system combining the touchscreen interface and the conventional operation system with cursor key for more quick and intuitive control, by taking advantage of both operation systems. Basic menu settings can be directly controlled by the cursor key, and others extensive ones are finely adjusted by touch or by moving a slider on the screen with the finger or an included stylus-pen. Touchscreen operation brings new enjoyment to the digital photography.
Easy playback with touch operation
The Touch scroll control feature lets you advance to the next image (or return to the previous one) by simply brushing a finger across the screen. Other convenient playback functions made possible by touch-panel operation include Multi playback, which lets you view thumbnails of up to 30 photos at once, Easy search and Sort, and Zoom playback.
Still images 3D recording
The newly added 3D Photo Mode produces a 3D image in the camera. The image-processing method used by LUMIX records beautiful images with less distortion. Take 20 panning shots and the camera automatically selects the two most suitable images--one for the right eye and one for the left eye--to make a 3D composite. The 3D image can be viewed on a 3D VIERA HDTV. The 3D image format is compatible with MPO, so it can be played back on other MPO-compatible equipment such as TVs and digital picture frames, or printed.
Travel mode with GPS
The camera uses the Global Positioning System (GPS) to determine your latitude and longitude, and automatically displays the location and area name on the LCD. It even displays the names of famous sightseeing locations. Positional data is also recorded with the image, making it easier to sort your photos by location and to arrange slideshows. When you return home, you can place thumbnail images onto an online map displayed on your PC.
What's in the Box
LUMIX DMC-ZS20 digital camera, Li-ion rechargeable battery pack, AC adaptor, AV and USB cables, stylus, strap, CD-ROM
Network content services are operated by their respective service providers, and service may be discontinued either temporarily or permanently without notice.
Some content may not be available in the country in which you reside.