Parallels Desktop for Mac (Intel Mac)
- Run important applications available only for Windows
- Software for running Windows alongside Mac OS X; no need to reboot
- Run Windows and other operating systems on the Mac simultaneously
- Share files between Windows and Mac OS X with a shared folder
- Set up with a simple wizard-driven interlace that even automates network settings
There is a newer version of this item:
|Tax Central 2015|
Prepare yourself for this Tax Season. Visit Tax Central, your shop for all things tax.
- Platform: Mac OS X Intel
- Media: CD-ROM
- Item Quantity: 1
The first solution that gives Apple users the ability to run Windows, Linux or any other operating system and their critical applications at the same time as Mac OS X--without rebooting--on any Intel-powered iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook or MacBook Pro.
The killer app for Mac is now even better than ever!
Parallels Desktop for Mac enables you to run Windows, Linux, and more side-by-side with Mac OS X on any Intel-powered Mac, without rebooting. With Parallels' award-winning virtualization technology, you can run Mac OS X and your favorite Windows applications at the same time. You can even drag-and-drop files between desktops!
The latest release of Parallels Desktop for Mac comes packed with 50+ new features and enhancements, including SmartSelect, Snapshots, and 3D graphics. Learn more about the new capabilities in the latest release of our award-winning product.
Top 5 reasons to run Parallels:
|Run Windows-only applications on your Mac. |
Many of today's most popular applications are windows-only. Parallels enables you to run these applications on your Mac. Play computer games? Most PC games only run on Windows. With Parallels, you no longer have to sacrifice your favorite games!
|Run Selected 3D Games and Applications. |
OpenGL and DirectX support lets you explore a whole new world of 3D games and applications right on your Mac.
|Use any phone, MP3 player, and camera with your Mac. |
With Parallels, you can use your favorite devices, even if they're Windows-only. Connect your Blackberry, phone, camera, and MP3 player to your Mac!
|Run OS X, Windows, and Linux at the same time. |
With Parallels, you can run all of your favorite applications at the same time, regardless of the OS! No more rebooting to switch between OSes to use the applications you need.
|No-worry migrations! |
Parallels Transporter takes the hassle out of migration. No more losing valuable data, customizing your computer all over again, or reinstalling software. In just a few simple steps, you can move your entire existing Windows system to your new Mac.
With the latest version of Parallels, you can:
- Use Windows and Mac OS X at the same time... without rebooting
- Run Windows programs like native Mac applications with Parallels Coherence
- New! Open Windows files with Mac programs and Mac files in Windows programs with Parallels SmartSelect
- Share files and folders between Windows and Mac OS X
- New! Browse through Windows folders and access files without launching Windows with Parallels Explorer
- New! Run today's most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics
- Achieve maximum performance by leveraging Intel Virtualization Technology
- New! Protect your Windows with Parallels Snapshots
- Migrate your entire existing PC to your Mac with Parallels Transporter
With Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac, you can run Windows applications like they were native to your Mac! Experience the new Coherence mode to enjoy the benefits of both operating systems, without managing two desktops. In Parallels Desktop 3.0, Coherence has been enhanced to make running both operating systems simultaneously even easier and more user-friendly.
Enjoy the benefits of both operating systems, without managing two desktops.
Using Parallels Desktop 3.0's Coherence, you can:
- Navigate Windows using the Windows taskbar directly on your Mac desktop
- Hide the Windows taskbar until you need it
- Launch your favorite Windows applications and access the Windows Start menu straight from your Mac Dock
- Use your Windows applications right on your Mac desktop, without resizing Windows itself
- Manage your open documents and files on the Windows taskbar while enjoying your favorite Mac Dock applications at the same time
- View Windows applications in Dock at your convenience! Choose your level of integration from Never, Always, and Only in Coherence.
- Maintain seamless access to all of your Windows and Mac documents, files, applications, hardware, and devices, making your user environment truly hassle-free
- Drag-and-drop files and folders instantly between Windows and Mac OS X
- Choose the best application for your needs, without flipping from one operating system to another
- Prefer Coherence over managing two desktops? Boot your virtual system to Coherence at startup, and truly avoid switching between operating systems.
- Mount your Windows operating system directly on your Mac desktop and enjoy instant access to all of your files, regardless of their OS Enjoy two operating systems while managing only one desktop. Coherence eliminates your having to switch between operating systems to enjoy your favorite Windows and Mac applications. You can almost forget that you're running two OSes!
Transporter is a powerful tool that enables you to migrate your entire PC system to a Parallels virtual machine. Migrate your entire PC system, including operating system, applications, files, and personal settings--without losing data or reinstalling any software.
NEW! Now you can convert VMware Workstation/Server and Virtual PC virtual hard disks to a Parallels virtual machine AND migrate directly to your Mac using FireWire!
| || |
* Windows 2000
Transporter Agent--the provider which enables online migration of Windows PC:
* Windows 2000
Installation Assistant built-in tool
Thanks to Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac's Installation Assistant, installing Windows on your Mac is now even easier than installing it on a PC! This new built-in tool is already included in Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac.
How does it work?
With a powerful, easy to use "Express Windows OS Installation Mode" for Windows Vista and Windows XP, the Installation Assistant completely automates the virtual machine setup and installation of Windows--with almost no user interaction.
Start taking advantage of running Windows on your Mac in just three easy steps:
- Select which Windows operating system you want to install,
- Enter your name, company and Windows activation key,
- Click finish--and let the Installation Assistant do the rest!
After Windows is installed, the Installation Assistant automatically installs Parallels Tools, a free set of useful add-ons that improve networking, video, and sound support, syncs mouse activity and OS system clocks, and enables you to cut, copy, and paste of data, as well as file sharing, between Windows and OS X.
Need to run other operation systems on your Mac?
The Installation Assistant provides improved and user-friendly setup for other versions of Windows, plus any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, and MS-DOS.
NOTE! If you are already using Parallels Desktop for Mac, updating Parallels Desktop 3.0 does not require a reinstall of any guest operating systems or applications. After updating, you should only reinstall Parallels Tools.
SmartSelect enables Mac users to open any Windows or Mac file with whichever software they choose.
Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac's new SmartSelect enables Mac users to open any Windows or Mac file with whichever software they choose--regardless of its original OS! Now you can open Windows files with any Mac software and Mac files with any Windows software.
With support in both Windows and Mac OS X and deep document, email, and web-browser integration between the two operating systems, Parallels Desktop 3.0's SmartSelect frees you to choose the best software for the job, without interrupting your workflow.
Previously, Parallels Desktop users had to copy a file into either Windows or Mac OS X to open the file with the application they wanted. Now, in Parallels Desktop 3.0, you can open any file from either OS and view it with the software of your choice.
With SmartSelect, you can:
- View and edit a file with any compatible PC or Mac software available on your Intel Mac
- Set file-associations to open a file-type with specific Mac or PC software
- Set SmartSelect software settings "on the fly" or as the default
Imagine being able to double-click on a text document in Mac Finder and immediately launch Microsoft Word in Windows. Or synchronizing your digital life by playing all the MP3s in your music library with Mac iTunes--even if the files are located in Windows.
Parallels Desktop 3.0's SmartSelect goes beyond document integration. It also supports email and web browsing. Immediately view a PPT file a colleague sent you in Apple Mail using Windows PowerPoint. Click on any hyperlink in an email or document and have your default web-browser--such as Apple's Safari or Microsoft's Internet Explorer--launch. With SmartSelect, the possibilities are endless.
Snapshots enables you to erase mistakes and recover your virtual machine from system crashes and viruses with the click of a button.
Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac's new Snapshots enables you to erase mistakes and recover your virtual machine from system crashes and viruses with the click of a button. Enjoy peace of mind with Parallels Desktop 3.0's Snapshots.
A complete record of your virtual machine at the state it was created--OS, data, software, and settings--Parallels Desktop 3.0's Snapshots enables you to quickly and easily create and save multiple snapshots, even while your virtual machine is running.
In the event a virus or a Windows system crash, you can conveniently rollback your virtual machine to any previously saved state with all of your data and software intact. (As opposed to losing all of your data and reinstalling Windows and all your PC software.) Additionally, periodically creating a set of backups facilitates faster recovery time to get back on your feet, if disaster strikes.
With Parallels Desktop 3.0's Snapshot Manager, you can manage and view all of your snapshots in a tree pane that includes screen shots for each snapshot. Snapshot Manager enables you to revert back to previous snapshots, delete snapshots, and edit description information for each snapshot.
Snapshots are excellent for:
- Bulletproofing your Windows virtual machine from viruses and spyware
- Creating a regularly scheduled backup to revert your virtual machine to any previous stable state
- Rolling back your virtual machine after a software update, system crash, or software testing
Access your Windows files and folders directly from your Mac desktop without even launching Windows using Parallels Explorer.
Just need that one document? Where did that pdf go? Thanks to Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac's new Parallels Explorer, now you can access your Windows files and folders directly from your Mac desktop, without even launching Windows. With a deeper integration between Mac OS X and Windows, Parallels Desktop 3.0 makes it even easier to run Windows on your Mac.
Using Parallels Desktop 3.0's Explorer, you can:
- Access your Windows files and documents directly from your Mac Desktop
- Browse your Windows system directly on your Mac Dock
- Maintain access to your important Windows documents, even if the virtual machine crashes
- Drag-and-drop files and folders between Windows and OS X
- Save time with direct access to all of your critical files, without having to wait for your virtual machine to start and Windows to boot
- Create and delete files in your Windows system "on the fly"
- Troubleshoot your Windows system for tricky file errors and deleted folders
- ...all without even launching Windows.
Enjoy two operating systems while managing only one desktop. Parallels Explorer eliminates your having to wait for your virtual machine to start and Windows to boot just to access your key Windows files, folders, and documents. Running Windows and Mac has never been easier!
NEW! Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac now supports DirectX 9 and OpenGL 1.5! No need to dedicate a separate Windows machine to running favorite 3D games and key graphics applications. Parallels Desktop 3.0 now brings the world of Windows 3D straight to your Mac like never before!
With Parallels Desktop 3.0, you can:
- Play Windows-only 3D games, such as Half-Life, World of Warcraft, and Unreal Tournament
- Render in complex 3D CAD programs such as AutoCAD 2008
- Work with CPU-intensive video and sound editing software such as Sony Vegas
- Run mission-critical 3D applications on your Mac
- Enjoy your favorite Windows-only games and graphics applications directly in your Windows virtual machine at full native speed--without rebooting
By including deep support for both DirectX and OpenGL, Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac brings a world of Windows-only key productivity and entertainment software to Mac users for the first time. Now you can truly experience the best of both worlds on one machine!
Top Customer Reviews
Let me offer a suggestion, since there is some confusion.
1. There is no need to buy Parallels (or any Virtual software) if you're only going to use Apple's proprietary system Bootcamp. All you have to do is install Windows on Bootcamp. Now, there's the hassle of coming in and out of Bootcamp to access your Mac side.
2. I've now been using VMWare Fusion for almost one (1) full year. I have never, never once had to reset it. Or, lost any work because of the glitches that were (and, apparently) still are a problem with Parallels. I bought VMWare, just like I bought Parallels with my own money: not a promotional gift, so I have no reason to slander any company for any reason. VMWare FUSION--JUST WORKS! Period. 12 months--NO Problems whatsoever! If you need more verification, just go to Amazon.com (US) read some of the testimonials from VMWare Fusion owners. It's just that simple. Great product. (When you go to see the reviews by current owners of Parallels for Mac 4.0, keep in mind what I wrote here.) Nothing's changed. Unfortunately.
1.0 out of 5 stars Parallels--A revised, Critical Review- Jan. 16, 2008,
I wrote an early review of Parallels Desktop, roughly about 7 months ago.Read more ›
I have 4Gb on my MacBook - 2 Gb allocated to Max OS and 2 Gb allocated to Parallels and Windows. The software, for me, is very stable. I usually have 4 to 6 applications running on my Mac and 3 to 4 applications running also on my VM. Occasionally, the entire system will slow down, this seems to be related to the Kapersky security software running under XP. Once Kapersky has finished its business (usually after a couple of minutes) everything is back to normal.
Improvements that I would like to see - videos are jerky when running PPT and showing a video during a presentation under the VM (I now just open under the XP partition with Bootcamp instead of using Parallels). Version 5 claims to have improved performance in this area. When a USB flash drive or a DVD is inserted, XP aggressively captures the media and it cannot be "seen" under the Mac OS unless you shut down Parallels.
I will wait a couple of weeks before doing the upgrade to v5 - the cost for a boxed set, with shipping and taxes is almost 60 dollars US, so I will probably buy the upgrade through Apple Canada or Amazon.ca instead of from Parallels itself.
One last thing, when I ordered Parallels 4 from Amazon.ca, they sent me version 3 instead. I returned the item but did not receive the credit for almost 6 months. I also had to wait about 8 weeks before version 4 become available on Amazon.
The benefit of this arrangement is that I can either boot my iMac directly into Windows using Boot Camp, or else boot into Mac OS X, and then start Parallels to access that same Windows partition to run Windows inside Mac OS X. I can also transfer files back and forth between the two partitions using Parallels.
In addition to using Parallels as described above, I also have a second Windows XP installation in a Parallels Virtual Machine (VM). This works well also, but I just don't trust entirely the idea of having a single file acting as a Windows partition.
Lastly, I also have an installation of Ubuntu Linux in a Parallels VM. Its only hitch is that it gets stuck when shutting down. My workaround is to ask it to reboot, then shut off the VM just when it does reboot.
With 4 GB of RAM in my iMac, I am able to run Mac OS X, Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux all at the same time.
Some early adopters of the newer Parallels v.4.0 have reported problems, but as of early January 2009 there is now an updated version that resolves many of the problems.
If you have recently switched from PC to Mac but hesitate to get rid of your old PC just in case you have to run a Windows app, Parallels will enable you to reclaim some desk space.
I soon discovered that there is NO WAY to contact this company. They are hidden behind a huge shield of useless FAQs and forms to fill out and they want me to pay to find out how to fix a problem with their software? WTF?
I highly recommend NOT wasting time on this product. It could be a good program, but the company behind it is STRANGE STRANGE STRANGE if ever you need help.