- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There Paperback – Sep 2 2005
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Advertising is a fantastic industry, but actually getting a job (or even your foot in the door) can seem next to impossible. Whether you're a student or a young professional loaded with questions, this one-of-a-kind guide shows you how to land a job and how to thrive once you're in and the pressure is on.
Authors Nancy Vonk and Janet Kestin are seasoned creative directors and longtime creative partners. In Pick Me, these industry leaders answer your toughest ad career questions, like:
- Is advertising right for me?
- How do I build a killer portfolio?
- How do I get an interview with the elusive creative director?
- Should I accept an unpaid internship?
- How do I find the right partner?
- How do I beat creative block?
- How do I avoid burnout?
Plus, fourteen industry superstars share their insights and explain how they broke into the business. You'll hear from Bob Barrie, Rick Boyko, David Droga, Mark Fenske, Neil French, Sally Hogshead, Mike Hughes, Shane Hutton, Brian Millar, Tom Monahan, Chuck Porter, Bob Scarpelli, Chris Staples, and Lorraine Tao.
Forget the clichés, this is advertising as it really is. If you're hell-bent on making it, this informative guide will put you on track for a career in one of the most exciting businesses on the planet.
About the Author
NANCY VONK and JANET KESTIN are co-Chief Creative Officers at Ogilvy & Mather, Toronto. They've won many industry awards, including Cannes Lions, One Show Pencils, and Clios. They've judged these shows, CA, and many others. They are also coauthors of the popular "Ask Jancy" column at ihaveanidea.org, a premier site for advertising students and young creatives.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book packs enough information, and answers enough questions.
There is a lot of information on how to stay in advertising within this book. The author's answer questions such as what to do if you have a disagreement with your AD/CW/CD etc.
As someone just starting out myself, I found this book to be a little discouraging. I know advertising can be a tough field to get into (hence I purchased this book for tips), however this book made it feel like the only route to get into the field is by going to one of the top ad schools in the U.S. and by interning at one of the top ad agencies in the world.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The only drawback for me was the fact that everything was based from a Creative Director's point of view. I would have liked to see some perspective from Account Executives, Copywriters, etc.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Accounting
- Books > Business & Investing > Job Hunting & Careers
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Accounting
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Industries & Professions > Accounting
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Textbooks