These 150 quick-and-easy recipes turn bumper crops into mouthwatering pickles and relishes, using little or no salt. All techniques meet current USDA guidelines.
"Here is a good basic introduction to pickling."
New recipes for today's cooks include:
* Freezer pickles that take less than a half hour to prepare.
* Refrigerator pickles that require no canning.
* Salt-free pickles for dieters.
* Traditional dill crock pickles, including no-fail Half-Sours.
* Variations on old favorites, such as sunshine pickles, bread and butters, pickled okra, pickled cauliflower, piccalilli, dilly beans, and chutney.
* Pickles and relishes made from apples, beans, beets, carrots, corn, cauliflower, cucumbers, Jerusalem artichokes, okra, onions, parsnips, pears, peppers, purslane, pumpkins, summer squash, red and green tomatoes, watermelon, and zucchini.
Dozens of tips guarantee crisp pickles without alum. Illustrated step-by-step pickling methods provide easy guidance for even novice picklers.