Portraits of Our Past: Jews of the German Countryside Hardcover – Jun 1 2001
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
While many books describe daily life in Eastern European cities and shtetls before the Holocaust, Emily Rose's Portraits of Our Past: Jews of the German Countryside may be unique in highlighting the experiences of rural Jews in 18th- and 19th-century Germany. Through a genealogy research project, Rose came to realize that her understanding of rural German Jews "had been very limited and, in many respects, completely wrong"; this absorbing study weaves her discoveries about her own ancestors' experiences with the larger history of Diaspora Jews in Germany. The book is enhanced by dozens of maps, illustrations and facsimiles.
Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
Top Customer Reviews
Most recent customer reviews
I was attracted to Portraits of Our Past in order to expand my knowledge on the true history of the founder of my company, Berlitz. Read morePublished on Nov. 23 2002 by arramus
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Ethnic & National > Jewish
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Ethnic Studies
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > History of Religion