Pro PHP XML and Web Services is the authoritative guide to using the XML features of PHP 5 and PHP 6. No other book covers XML and Web Services in PHP as deeply as this title. The first four chapters introduce the core concepts of XML required for proficiency, and will bring you up to speed on the terminology and key concepts you need to proceed with the rest of the book. Next, the book explores utilizing XML and Web Services with PHP5. Topics include DOM, SimpleXML, SAX, xmlReader, XSLT, RDF, RSS, WDDX, XML-RPC, REST, SOAP, and UDDI.
Author Robert Richards, a major contributor to the PHP XML codebase, is a leading expert in the PHP community. In this book, Richards covers all topics in depth, blending theory with practical examples. Youll find case studies for the most popular web services like Amazon, Google, eBay, and Yahoo. The book also covers XML capabilities, demonstrated through informative examples, in the PEAR libraries.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to XML and Web Services
- XML Structure
- XPath, XPointer, XInclude, and the Future
- PHP and XML
- Document Object Model (DOM)
- Simple API for XML (SAX)
- Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT)
- Effective and Efficient Processing
- XML Security
- PEAR and XML
- Content Syndication: RSS and Atom
- Web Distributed Data Exchange (WDDX)
- Representational State Transfer (REST)
- Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI)
- PEAR and Web Services
- Other XML Technologies and Extensions
About the Author
After becoming the latest casualty of the "dot-com" implosion in 2001, Rob had his first taste of PHP and began contributing code to the domxml extension in 2002. Since then he became one of the authors of the DOM extension for PHP 5, contributes to the other XML based extensions and has authored the xmlReader, for PHP 5, and xmlwriter, for PHP 4.3+, extensions. Also on occasion, he contributes bug fixes to the libxml2 project found during the development of these extensions.