- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership, and Role Management Paperback – Jan 31 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
ASP.Net security covers a broad range of subjects. Concepts such as Web security features, developing in partial trust, forms authentication, and securing configuration - just to name a few p are all integral components to helping developers ensure reliable security. Addressing the ASP.NET security features from the developer's point of view, this book offers detailed information on very major area of ASP.NET security that you'll encounter when developing Web applications.
You'll see how the 2.0 version contains many new built-in security functions, such as Membership and Role Manager, and you'll learn how you can extend or modify various features. As you work through this book, you'll gain a solid understanding of the many security features in ASP.NET 2.0.
What you will learn from this book
- The securityÂ professing that is performed for each HTTP request
- What ASP.NET trust levels are and how they work to provide secure environments
- The new options for locking down and protecting configuration sections
- New security features for forms authentication and session state
- Ways to write your own custom provider-based features
- How to extend Membership with password histories and custom password encryption
- How to use Active Directory with the new Membership and Role Manager features
Who this book is for
This book is for experienced developers who are looking to master the new security features of ASP.NET 2.0, as well as more advanced techniques for extending ASP.NET 2.0 security.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet theÂ real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
About the Author
Stefan Schackow is a Program Manager on the Web Platform and Tools Team at Microsoft working on the new application services stack in Visual Studio 2005. He owns the Membership, Role Manager, Profile, Personalization and Site Navigation features in ASP.NET 2.0. He also works on features for Microsoft's ASP.NET hosting solution. He is a frequent speaker at Microsoft developer conferences. Prior to joining the ASP.NET team Stefan worked as an application development consultant in Microsoft Consulting Services (MCS) with enterprise customers for four years.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Before the first line of code you write for an . aspx page executes, both Internet Information Services (IIS) and ASP.NET have performed a fair amount of logic to establish the execution context for a HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) request. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
If you are simply looking for a book teaching you how to use Role Management, Membership and other cool features offered by ASP.NET 2.0, this book might not be a good fit for you because it tends to explain lots of background info before jumping into the new features. However if what you want is to understand how all these puzzles interact with each other in the ASP.NET security world, this book should be your first choice.
This text is not a how-to for a beginner. It is also not light reading. It is a dense book; lots of information crammed into it. You have to bring your experience to this book for the full weight of the teaching to come to bear. I highly recommend it to application architects and development team leads.
This book provides the reader with material that only an individual who works on the Microsoft ASP.Net team can supply. Stefan does a marvelous job at giving the reader insight into the "plumbing" of the ASP.Net runtime. In addition, the manual contains excellent coverage of the new ASP.Net 2 membership and role management services! If you are an ASP.Net professional who wishes to gain a deeper understanding of the product outside of how to write code against it, pick it up!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > Security+
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > ASP
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems