You’ll see how ASP.NET 2.0 version contains many new built-in security functions compared to ASP.NET 1.x such as Membership and Role Manager, and you’ll learn how you can extend or modify various features. The book begins with two chapters that walk you through the processing ASP.NET 2.0 performs during a web request and the security processing for each request, followed by a detailed explanation of ASP.NET Trust Levels.
With this understanding of security in place, you can then begin working through the following chapters on configuring system security, forms authentication, and integrating ASP.NET security with classic ASP including integrating Membership and Role Manager with classic ASP. The chapter on session state looks at the limitations of cookieless session identifiers, methods for heading off session denial of service attacks, and how session state is affected by trust level. After the chapter explaining the provider model architecture in ASP.NET 2.0 and how it is useful for writing custom security providers you go to the MembershipProvider class and configuring the two default providers in the Membership feature, SqlMembershipProvider and ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider. You'll see how to use RoleManager to make it easy to associate users with roles and perform checks declaratively and in code and wrap up working with three providers for RoleProvider – WindowsTokenRoleProvider, SqlRoleProvider, and AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider (to work with Authorization Manager or AzMan).
This book is also available as part of the 5-book ASP.NET 2.0 Wrox Box (ISBN: 0-470-11757-5). This 5-book set includes:
- Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Special Edition (ISBN: 0-470-04178-1)
- ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution (ISBN: 0764584642 )
- Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership, and Role Management (ISBN: 0764596985)
- Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Server Control and Component Development (ISBN: 0471793507)
- ASP.NET 2.0 MVP Hacks and Tips (ISBN: 0764597663)
- CD-ROM with more than 1000 pages of bonus chapters from 15 other .NET 2.0 and SQL Server(TM) 2005 Wrox books
- DVD with 180-day trial version of Microsoft(r) Visual Studio(r) 2005 Professional Edition