- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Professional Oracle Programming Paperback – Jun 17 2005
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“…a good book for an introduction to Oracle, but especially good if you are interested in the areas of Business Intelligence, HTML-DB, XML DB and Regular Expressions…” (OracleHome, 3 August 2005)
From the Back Cover
Professional Oracle Programming
If you are a developer who wants to use Oracle to build effective, robust, and scalable software applications, look no further. Written by a team of leading authorities on the Oracle database, this example-packed book is divided into three main areas: how the Oracle database works, how to use SQL and programming languages to access Oracle, and how to use the features of Oracle effectively in creating your applications.
After an overview of the topics you need to know in order to use the Oracle database effectively, you'll get helpful tips, techniques, code samples, and examples written in Oracle Database 10g. Along the way, you'll learn how to access and manipulate data in the Oracle database, implement logic with various programming techniques, use raw data in a database, and, ultimately, create successful applications.
What you will learn from this book
- How to leverage Oracle's strengths in both its functionality and operations
- Various database issues that have a direct impact on the operation and performance of Oracle applications
- Techniques for using triggers, regular expressions, object types, XML, and HTML-DB with Oracle
- How Oracle processes SQL requests and the implication this can have on application code
- Ways Oracle determines optimal access paths to data and how to shape the behavior of an Oracle database
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone whose primary job is to create application systems and who wants to use the Oracle database for such systems. A basic knowledge of Oracle, Java, and SQL is recommended.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
The core theoretical purpose of a relational database is to separate logical interaction with data within the database from the physicaI storage of that data. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
A thing this book is not for is the database administrator. There's very little on things like set-up, assigning users, security (there's a little on this); those kinds of administrative details. This book is, as I said at first, for developers.
The book does go heavily into programming techniques like triggers, regular expressions, object types, XML, defining your own functions -- things like that.
The authors all have extensive experience with Oracle, most of them work for or have worked for Oracle. As this series of books proclaims, this is a book written at the programmer to programmer level.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Oracle
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Software Design & Engineering