Professional SQL Server 2005 CLR Programming: with Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers, Aggregates, and Types Paperback – Dec 11 2006
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
SQL Server 2005 offers the capability to write code in a .NET language that can be compiled and run inside SQL Server. CLR Integration, or SQL CLR, lets you create stored procedures, user-defined types, triggers, table valued functions, and aggregates using a .NET managed language. You can read and write to resources outside of SQL Server and enjoy a tighter integration with XML, web services, and simple file and logging capabilities.
Here's the reference you'll want on your desk as you develop SQL CLR solutions. It helps you decide whether to use SQL CLR, how to lock down security, and learn from real examples. If you want to develop stored procedures or other objects in .NET for SQL Server 2005, this book offers exactly what you need.
What you will learn from this book
- The concepts and architecture of SQL CLR
- Uses of .NET namespaces in SQL Server programming tasks
- How to develop and benchmark routines in T-SQL and .NET to determine when CLR-based solutions are advantageous
- How to replace extended stored procedures using SQL CLR stored procedures
- How to use SQL CLR objects in external applications
- How to restrict and secure SQL CLR object capabilities
- Processes and procedures for deploying SQL CLR objects
Who this book is for
This book is for developers and architects who are familiar with .NET concepts as well as DBAs who, although developers in their own right, may be slightly less up to date on .NET. A solid grounding in T-SQL is necessary.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
About the Author
Derek Comingore is an independent consultant, trainer, and speaker specializing in SQL Server and .NET technologies. He has recently strarted two ventures, an online Microsoft community for colleagues to learn from one another, located at www.RedmondSociety.com, and a second for SQL Server consulting at www.SQLServerDVAs.com. Derek holds the MCAD/MCDBA Microsoft certifications, the Carnegie Mellon Personal Software Process (PSP) credential, and an AAS/BS in Computer Information Systems from University of North Dakota. Derek's blog is located at hhtp://RedmondSociety.com/blogs/Derek.
Douglas Hinson has worked as an independent software and database consultant in the logistics and financial industries, with an extensive SQL Server background. He has coauthored several Wrox books, including Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Services.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
In SQL Server 2005, CLR has been built into the database itself so that developers can approach problems by programming in either SQL or CLR or a combination of both. This book is a general introduction to programming in CLR with SQL Server 2005. It is intended to be an 'open book' that you would keep open in front of you as you program using the CLR functions.
These is some discussion in the book about the decision to use CLR or to stay with SQL, but obviously these authors are believers in CLR. If nothing else, reading the book will give you a good idea about CLR and whether you want ot use it or not.
Note that since the announcement of .NET, the developers of Linux, Oracle and others have announced that they will also offer .NET/CLR support. It appears this is going to be the way and the light in the future.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases > Database Management Systems
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Development > .NET
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Development > SQL Server
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > SQL
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Database Storage & Design
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages