- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide, Third Edition Paperback – Aug 7 2009
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Joseph Phillips, PMP, CompTIA Project+ is the director of education for Project Seminars, a project management training company. He is a member of the PMI and the author of CAPM/PMP Project Management All-in-One Exam Guide and other books.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
strongly recommend this book over other authors.
The book includes a Cd with preparation exams, videos that are of great quality,
the author gives you the right direction and where to focus your study with out wasting
time,this is a safe bet, I'm glad to have this book in my Library.
This is all you need to pass the PmP exam.
I have emailed the publisher asking for an errata sheet for the book -- we'll see how McGraw-Hill responds.
I have found the 25 questions at the end of each chapter to be helpful for my preparation, and I expect to use the sample test on the CD too.
For the price, you can't beat this. If you have the money, you can get the more popular PMP Exam Prep, Seventh Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam, which I like slightly better but it also costs twice as much.
- This book, when accompanied with the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), is what you need at a minimum. Although I know people who passed the PMP only using this book, I don't recommend it. There are topics that are on the exam that are covered in the PMBOK that are not here and vice versa. Unless you are a good guesser, buy both.
- The chapters are aligned with the PMBOK, based on knowledge area. You'll find that all PMP prep books are organized either by knowledge area (e.g. scope, time, cost) or by process group (e.g. initiating, planning, executing). I prefer the former since I believe it's easier to compartmentalize knowledge areas, say learn about cost at once. The latter would cover cost in three different areas of the book since that would follow the life of a project.
- Joseph's writing style is easy to understand.
- The sample questions are very good overall. The current exam passing score is 61% but you should aim for 75% from this book.
- Not enough time spent on Inputs, Tools & Techniques, and Outputs (ITTOs). This is the number one reason why you need the PMBOK. You don't need to memorize them but you'll need to understand them really well and Rita's book is not sufficient in this area.
- Exercises could be a little better. Some topics require more reinforcement than others (e.g. activity sequencing, earned value) and this book could have offered more practice in some areas.
- For people who like to study independently, this is an excellent resource for any project management certification exam. Make sure you buy the PMBOK to accompany this.
- If you opt to take a training course, this book can be a nice supplement to your course materials.
- You can buy either 2nd or 3rd edition of this book and you'll be fine.
If you are reviewing for the PMP exam and do not need to be in class, this book is good to have around. The e-book definitely makes the 700+ pages less cumbersome to carry around. But if you are going to be in a classroom setting reviewing these standards and principles, I highly suggest getting the hardcopy.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Operations Research
- Books > Computers & Technology > Certification Central > Exams > PMP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Project Management > PMP Exam
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Operations Research
- Books > Textbooks