RUSSIAN in 10 minutes a day with CD-ROM Paperback – Oct 15 2008
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Since 1981, Bilingual Books, Inc. (Seattle) has sold millions of copies of its highly acclaimed products. The first title published was German in 10 Minutes a Day; now the company is the leader in foreign language publishing, with more than 40 titles in 20 languages.
Top Customer Reviews
On the surface the book looks great - big pictures, stickers, activities, flash cards and a laminated "pocket pal" with a short list of phrases and such. The problem with these resources is that they all fall short when scrutinized individually. There aren't enough flash cards, and the words that are chosen are sort of odd. Some are obvious for the beginner, but many just leave me scratching my head as to why they picked them. The activities in the book are the best part, but as a workbook, it's only average. The stickers are a good idea in theory, but are you really going to put stickers on objects all around your house? The "pocket pal" phrasebook would be a decent idea, but it's a real pain to get out of the book (I had to cut it out with a razor knife), and it's too big to fit comfortably in your pocket when folded up. Because this book tries to be everything to everyone it falls short on all counts.
If you want to learn Russian and can only buy one text, buy yourself the Penguin Russian Course if you want an inexpensive beginners textbook and then make your own flash cards. If you can afford a little more, get the ready made Russian cards from Vis-ed. For a workbook try the Berlitz Basic Russian Workbook, and then a decent phrasebook like the one from Lonely Planet. These products are all available from Amazon and may cost a little more in total, but will take you much farther.
Over time I have aquired 6 languages. This book is the worst language book I have ever seen.
1. It does not provide accent marks, so....so why bother even having it? You will have to get another book to learn how to pronounce the words...so...again, why bother with this?
2. It as a cool idea to learn Russian in 10 minutes a day (with this book, 10 minutes a day for the next 15 years still wouldn't teach you to do anything but to go around hoping to find magic vocabulary stickers.)
It does not provide, cogent explanations, or examples for syntax and grammar points. There is some vocabulary, but without real explanations of how to use the language, the book is pointless.
3. I recommend a travel phrasebook if that is all you want. Get a real text, Penguin's course isn't bad, or the "Ultimate Russian: Basic-Intermediate (Living Language Ultimate. Basic-Intermediate Series (Manual & Cassettes)) Nancy Novak / Crown Audio Cassettes / April 1998" if you really want learn, aquire, and use Russian.
4. "10-minutes.." is too big to carry around, too vapid for any real learning, and too disorganised to make any progress on any single topic.
5. The book is snake oil. I doubt the author had any intention of really trying to be usefull. It was easy to write, cheap to print, a quick money maker for a lazy author.
Get something else.
San Antonio physician.
Most recent customer reviews
This book gives absolutely no insight into the complexities of Russian grammar, and the 'phonetic transcription' will help you do nothing other that get laughed at by native... Read morePublished on May 20 2003 by Elizabeth Hodgdon
The lack of stress marks is a definite impediment. Otherwise, this book adequately covers the needs of those for which it is intended.Published on Dec 14 2001
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Russian
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Russian
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied