Real Marriage Dvd Based Study Kit DVD-ROM – Jan 2 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
About the Author
Mark Driscoll is one of the 50 most influential pastors in America, and the founder of Mars Hill Church in Seattle (www.marshillchurch.org), the Paradox Theater, and the Acts 29 Network which has planted scores of churches. Mark is the author of The Radical Reformission: Reaching Out Without Selling Out. He speaks extensively around the country, has lectured at a number of seminaries, and has had wide media exposure ranging from NPR’s All Things Considered to the 700 Club, and from Leadership Journal to Mother Jones magazine. He’s a staff religion writer for the Seattle Times. Along with his wife and children, Mark lives in Seattle.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I received this DVD study free from Booksneeze, a blogger review program.
I received a copy of the DVD by booksneeze. The views I hold are my own.
My wife and I used the DVD and guide to lead a two month marriage series with our young couples's small group. I was the only one in the group who read the book during the period of our discussions but that did not seem to hinder the discussion. There was enough content in the 15 minute video clips and discussion guides for the twelve of us to have productive conversations about various aspects of our marriages.
In four sessions we chose to cover the chapters on friendship, commitment, repentance, and a guys and girls separated session on our distinct challenges and responsibilities in the relationship. Most of the stories told by the Driscolls were difficult to relate to young couples without kids. Some of the discussion questions were simplistic and did not generate complex discussion. Also, some of the chapters we chose not to discuss were repetitive and discussed sex in such depth that not everyone may have felt comfortable sharing in a group setting.
Overall, I think this material was beneficial for our group. There was certainly some good discussion and things learned by our group. I think discussing our marriages in detailed and personal ways also brought our group closer together. I would recommend this content for almost any married group that would like to discuss their marriages in the company of other couples who could hold them accountable for healthy relationships. There is also some content included for singles so they would not feel excluded from the discussions. However, the group leader(s) may want to sift through the material as we did and select the most applicable topics as eleven sessions could cause people to loose interest.
There are some things that I really appreciated about this Real Marriage DVD kit and study guide by Mark & Grace Driscoll.
1) They were honest. I appreciated their vunerability in their personal lives. Often marriage/couple books leave someone feeling like "If only I had done such and such, I could have a great marriage like _____." That's not how the Driscolls presented their book/DVD. They talked about their struggles and how to overcome them.
2) The study guide was great to do as a group as it has discussion questions and then personal questions to do later on your own time. These questions allowed the person to hear others' thoughts as well as further develop your own. If you were single, they had a section of questions for them to answer as well which I thought was very well thought out.
3) Each section had a portion of scripture at the beginning and then at the end time for prayer. While there could have been more scripture in the study guide I enjoyed having the prayer aspect included.
4) Each week there was an "experience" that you were to do with your spouse. This could be a date time that involved something fun, introspective, deep and hard talking time, or just enjoyment of being together. I thought this was a great thing to have for couples to do. They also had a part for singles to do.
5) Each section had about a 10-minute video of Mark and Grace Driscoll talking (basically to each other) about the topic that was going to be discussed. I found watching them interact added to the study guide. It made me appreciate the struggles they'd had, research they'd done, and thoughts they had put into making the book and study guide. I like the way they interacted as a couple, it was a good role model.
I only had the DVD and study guide, I did not receive the book to review. In the study guide they want you to read the corresponding chapters. Since I didn't have the book, I couldn't do that part, and I think it would greatly enhance the experience to have the book as well as the DVD study guide.
As I mentioned in the beginning, no book/study guide is perfect and I didn't agree 100% with everything they shared but I would still definitely recommend this to other couples.
I received this study guide/DVD kit from BookSneeze for my honest opinion.