Code You Can Believe In
This easy-to-use, fast-moving tutorial introduces you to functional programming with Haskell. You'll learn how to use Haskell in a variety of practical ways, from short scripts to large and demanding applications. Real World Haskell takes you through the basics of functional programming at a brisk pace, and then helps you increase your understanding of Haskell in real-world issues like I/O, performance, dealing with data, concurrency, and more as you move through each chapter.
With this book, you will:
- Understand the differences between procedural and functional programming
- Learn the features of Haskell, and how to use it to develop useful programs
- Interact with filesystems, databases, and network services
- Write solid code with automated tests, code coverage, and error handling
- Harness the power of multicore systems via concurrent and parallel programming
You'll find plenty of hands-on exercises, along with examples of real Haskell programs that you can modify, compile, and run. Whether or not you've used a functional language before, if you want to understand why Haskell is coming into its own as a practical language in so many major organizations, Real World Haskell is the best place to start.