These are the last two series of Red Dwarf written by both creators. There are several hilarious and highly innovative episodes in these two series and I still enjoy all of these episodes after many repeated viewings. Episode synopses are included below, but I've tried to avoid spoilers that would ruin any of the great plot twists in some of these, especially Back To Reality, which is certainly one of the best episodes of the series ever.
Red Dwarf Series 5 is filled with wonderful character exploration and insightful social commentary, yet delivers the same hilarious and dense level of humor as the series that came before it. Holoship gives a wonderful, humanizing look at Rimmer beyond the annoying exterior and Back to Reality is a tremendous look at the motivations and inner workings of all of the major characters in one of the funniest Red Dwarf episodes ever; it also delivers a delightful plot twist the first time you see it. Series 5 reveals a great comedy show delivering some of it's very best writing yet. Episodes include:
1. Holoship - Rimmer leaves Red Dwarf to go to the Holoship Enlightenment where he must compete with the best of the Space Corps to remain aboard. Everything he wants is on this ship. Will he make the cut and find true love as well?
2. The Inquisitor - The Inquisitor travels time and erases the unworthy from existence and the Red Dwarf crew, having not led the most productive lives, are on his list.
3. Terrorform - Rimmer becomes a prisoner of his own nightmares and must be rescued by the rest of the crew.
4. Quarantine - Contagion from a viral research centre causes Rimmer to force the rest of the crew to spend twelve weeks in quarantine. But who is really infected?
5. Demons & Angels- When the crew meet their evil doubles, things get unpleasant and the actors get to play interesting twisted versions of their usual characters.
6. Back to Reality - In a great plot twist that I won't give away here, the crew of Red Dwarf find that all things are not as they seem. Will life ever be the same?
Extras features include: Cast Commentary, Fan Commentary on Back To Reality, Fan Profiles, "Bad Guys" Music Featurette, Photo Gallery, Raw Effects Footage, "Heavy Science" Series V Doco, Weblink, "Dwarfing USA" featurette, The SFX of Red Dwarf, Deleted Scenes, Smeg Ups, TrailersBBC2/Skutter Channel idents, Lister Intro To "Best Episode Ever", Isolated Music Cues, Dave Hollins Radio Sketch and 3 Easter Eggs Including an Animated version of Back To Reality.
Red Dwarf Series 6 is the last written by both of the creators, Grant and Naylor and the humor is as sharp as ever. In this series, the ship Red Dwarf is itself missing (literally, the model had been stolen) and so the crew are living aboard Starbug searching for their home, which in the story arc of the series has been taken by parties unknown. The part of the Cat is significantly increased in this series to great effect, although the trade-off is that Holly is missed. The episodes are terrific and highly creative with new situations and dense, seemingly endless jokes. This is Red Dwarf at its apex of creativity and humor. Episodes include:
1. Emohawk, Polymorph II- The crew need to trade with GELFs in order to get a vital piece of equipment, but will Lister survive his wedding night?
2. Psirens- Like the crew in The Odyssey, the Red Dwarf crew must escape the call of "Psirens" if they are to continue on their journey. Can the crew resist the temptation of their dearest desires?
3. Legion- The crew meet a marvelously talented entity who is very helpful, and very dangerous as well. The writers give the character of Rimmer new possibilities and more to do when he acquires a "hard light" body, but will the crew escape their host in order to take advantage of it?
4. Gunmen of the Apocalypse- A great "western" episode that also explores the fun of roleplaying and virtual reality. Fantastic, innovative and funny!
5. Rimmerworld- Rimmer escapes a disaster and ends up stranded alone for a very long time. What will the crew find when they finally catch up to him?
6. Out of Time- The crew meet up with very dislikable future versions of themselves. Will they be able to escape a time paradox that will cause them to become people they despise?
The first time I saw Red Dwarf Series 6 I was truly amazed at the freshness and quality of the writing, and it still makes me laugh out loud after repeated viewings. This is great comedy as well as terrific parody of many science fiction concepts. Highly recommended.
Like the Series V DVD, this set is loaded with extras like outtakes ("Smeg Ups"), deleted scenes, making of featurettes and more.