Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design (paperback)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$49.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 7, 2010
I don't have a rating on this book because I haven't bought it yet. I was about to when I read the previous review.
I should say I disagree with the reviewer's opinion on Scott Ambler's work. I have read Ambler's articles since the late 1990s (Ronin Intl) and have bought most of the books written or co-authored by Scott Ambler. I do believe most of the concepts/ideas implemented in ORM ([...]) frameworks such as Hibernate/NHibernate, JDO, JPA are there thanks to articles/whitepapers like the ones Ambler has published. I might be wrong but the Object-Relational Impedance Mismatch was first coined by Ambler.
My short advise, read Codd then read Scott Ambler, but don't get stuck on the "SPROCs and cursors" world, move on.
Done, bought!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've asked Amazon to remove the review at the bottom of the page. It's nothing but a personal attack by someone who doesn't even have the integrity to reveal who he or she it. Bottom line is that this technique works. The book is full of examples with code, so if you have the ability to type in code from a book you too can see it work in front of your eyes.

As far as "money grubbing" goes, you don't make a lot of money writing books. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble on that issue. ;-)
on September 7, 2008
Scott Ambler is a self-serving, money-grubbing charlatan and an OO uncle Tom who aims at data people who know better than to be sucked in by this facile rubbish. His examples demonstrate his lack of understanding. Anyone who began with a DB design like this would be laughed out of the shop for incompetance and improving such a design is not a question of step-wise, small, incremental changes with no impact on the applications that depend on it - in fact they would result in big time disruption.

He is just trying to jump on the refactoring bandwagon and find a profitable niche with the NDBA(near-DBAs) community who are OO programmers that do not really understand data concepts. Refactoring is not supposed to be a politically acceptable buzzword for perpetual recoding in the hope that you will eventually approximate to the undefined business requirements you did not take the time to collect in the first place.