Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on December 1, 1999
"What is quality?" asks Robert Pirsig in his exceptional novel, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Relearning to See is QUALITY plus!
This book is a wonderful tribute to the genius of Dr. Bates, who was a pioneer in discovering how vision becomes blurred and how it restores itself naturally to clarity and acuity. Now 80 years later, his findings and teachings remain light years ahead of our contemporaries. There is at least one current book which gives you the impression that improving your vision naturally is "newly" discovered. Hardly. Tom is to be commended for his dedication in getting the truth out and keeping the torch burning in this "bible" on vision improvement.
As an ophthalmologist, Dr. Bates distinguished himself from the pack as a truly critical thinker. His colleagues were content to ignore or rationalize away the numerous cases of patients whose vision improved yet shouldn't have according to the orthodox theories. Dr. Bates was troubled enough to undertake his own extensive experiments and thorough analysis to debunk the myths. His approach to treating vision problems was truly holistic and the theme throughout this book is very much an extension of that holistic approach.
My vision improvement using the Bates method has been nothing short of spectacular. When I began, my near-sightedness was roughly 20/600. Now on a clear and sunny day outside, my vision settles in to about 20/30 on average, with many periods of 20/20. Under indoor artificial light, my vision averages about 20/40, with periods of 20/30. (Why does it vary, you ask? Read this book and you'll understand why eyesight isn't a fixed and rigid condition under all lighting conditions.) My vision continues to improve subtly each day (it's amazing how one can sense the differences that I'm sure no instrument could detect) and at this rate, I know that the perfect vision I fondly recall as a child will soon be restored.
Being formally educated and employed in the sciences, there was a time when I would have been extremely skeptical about holistic healing. I'm a firm believer now, because I have had reversals of other types of conditions that I never in a million years would have related to poor vision. This book describes many negative cognitive, emotional and physical symptoms that result from blurred vision.
Before getting this book, I had already been using the Bates method of improvement for several months. I was making good progress based on an obscure paperback first published in 1929, Better Sight Without Glasses, by Harry Benjamin. Tom's in-depth and comprehensive book gave me a much fuller understanding and appreciation for some of the finer points of Dr. Bates' work. The book also describes phenomena that I had experienced very early in my vision improvement that startled me at the time, such as brief "flashes" of 20/20 vision and incredible depth perception.
"Blinded by science" takes on a literal meaning when it comes to orthodox methods of "correcting" vision. There's no doubt that the eye care profession in its infancy was developed on good intentions. But it's a science that has gone terribly astray, with countless numbers of people needlessly suffering the consequences. This book discusses one of the founding principles of the profession based on experiments conducted in the mid-1800's where the reflection of a candle on a subject's eyes was checked under different focusing conditions. This experiment and its erroneous conclusions wouldn't likely meet the grade for a current school science fair.
I assume that many have chosen a career in the orthodox eye care industry for noble reasons beyond the almighty dollar. Yet they've been duped in their education to faithfully believe the mythical genetic condition of progressive myopia and they are unwittingly selling us snake oil (prescription lenses and contacts). To add insult to injury, a new brand of snake oil (laser surgery) is being offered. It's utterly preposterous the harm that has been inflicted to our most valuable sense organs in the guise of "treatment".
A philosopher once stated that truth goes through three steps. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. And thirdly, it is accepted as self-evident. Buy this book and go immediately to step 3. Learn the proper vision habits (not exercises) and you will be rewarded with marvelous clarity, incredibly healthy eyes and a whole new outlook on life.
on November 19, 2002
This book is the most comprehensive book I have come across in natural vision improvement. Drawing mostly from the methods of Dr. William Bates, it provides a very thorough exploration of what you can do if you want to improve your vision naturally. From a practical point of view, the suggestions in this book worked for me. I had started with a strong myopia prescription a year ago and now I only wear glasses occasionally. What a huge difference that makes. My improvement was confirmed by my eye doctor. However, vision improvement is a gradual process, and it's easy to give up or get frustrated, especially after the first initial improvements. The real gift of this book was that it had enough information and insight to keep me going through those frustrating moments.
This book answered many questions that often aren't addressed in other books, such as why vision is usually sharper in bright lighting situations (the pupil is contracted, creating a "pinhole" effect). "Relaxation" and "centralization" are other concepts that may be hard to grasp for the novice, and this book not only explains what this means in detail, but also how to "relearn" these concepts of seeing well, naturally. Although I would encourage readers to read other books on natural vision improvement as well, just to have a balanced point of view (it seems that different authors draw from slightly different methodologies, and have varying techniques that are also interesting), if I were to keep just one book for personal reference, it would be this one. Highly recommended.
on February 5, 2001
Far and away the most comprehensive book on vision improvement I've come across, this is more of an encyclopedia than a book you read straight through. Mr. Quackenbush - not an eye doctor, but a long-time teacher of the Bates method - goes through the mechanics and physiology of the eye and the eye's natural vision habits in exhaustive detail. He also gives pointers on reducing one's prescription, movement exercises, acupressure, relaxation games, left-brain/right-brain physiology, and holistic health, all geared toward improving your eyesight. Central to his teaching of the Bates method is that there are NO exercises. These are habits which are to be practiced 24 hours a day! And they are so simple, so easy to do, and afterwards you'll wonder why people are still stuck in poor vision.
Tom, who founded the Natural Vision Center, used to teach his courses in the San Francisco Bay Area but is now in Ashland, Oregon. I've taken his natural vision course and I found it to be profound. It's been a year and a half; my prescription used to be 20/400, but now I can occasionally see 20/50 or better. Progress is expected to be slow but steady, and I saw jumps in my vision after only a few weeks in the course.
on January 24, 2004
I did not realize this was such a large book and technical at the same time. But it is concise and thorough and I skipped many of the technical explanations and derived the main geist of improving vision naturally.
Mainly the book conveys the importance of relearning correct habitual seeing at all times as opposed to exercises for the eyes. The book is emphatic and focused on this point.
Mainly the three habits of seeing is blinking, sketching, and breathing and the book goes to great lenghts to explain and convince in many different situations its relevance.
Outstanding reading. Just realizing your erred visual habits will improve your sight to an extent which varies widely but as the book says it will take more time and relearning to undo years or lifetime of incorrect habits that it becomes natural and subconcious as was what you were born.
on November 9, 2001
This large book is on the Bates Method, which Tom has been teaching for about fifteen years. Large portions of Bates's book and magazines are quoted, and while there is no substitute for reading Bates's book and all his magazines yourself, this book reviews what Bates taught more comprehensively than any other author. If it were not for this and Tom's other book, The Complete Magazines of William H. Bates, I might never have understood the Bates Method as it is meant to be understood.
Tom emphasizes relearning to use natural, relaxed vision habits all day long, habits which most people with imperfect sight had as children. Even those people such as me who have had eye problems all their lives, even as infants, unconsciously know how to use their eyes and mind in the right way.
He also goes over a number of modern issues that Bates was not aware of in his time, such as color therapy, left and right brain hemispheres, and healing crises.
on July 10, 2002
I thought this book was excellent in explaining anything you could possibly want to know about the eyes - almost like a biology/physics textbook, and it has a ton of excerpts from Bates original publications. The book is well-written, and my eyes were glued to it (probably reducing my eyesight LOL)- I sped through it within 2 days.
In general, I found this book to be *extremely informative*, and very in-depth and perhaps giving me much more than i really wanted to know.
It definitely gives a person hope that he/she can improve their eyesight, all you need is *dedication* and *motivation*. I have not been able to make a habit of doing the 'exercises' yet, so I can't comment on that, but the belief that poor eyesight comes from straining is something i believe in, and therefore reversible.
on December 22, 2001
This is a wonderful book packed with the proper knowledge to reverse refractive errors if given enough time and patience. I've read the book and am now applying the principles revealed. My vision is getting better because I have begun to utilize the correct visual habits that improve vision. I had considered refractive surgery such as lasix for my myopic condition. I was praying for a natural way of vision restoration when I found this book listed online. I'm so thankful for this knowledge. I recommend this book to anyone interested in natural vision recovery.
on November 3, 2000
This book changed my life. I used to think that poor eyesight was genetic and unchangeable. This book explains how eye muscles can change the shape of your eyeball to make your vision better or worse. Because these muscles are not under your conscious control, relearning to see is more about relaxing and letting your eyes do what they were always supposed to do. In one month of applying some of the advice from this book, my vision improved from -3.50 to -1.25 in both eyes--tested in a dark optometrist's office. In natural light outside I often see 20/20. I now wear much weaker glasses, and only for driving. I also get fewer headaches.
on December 29, 2000
Just amazing! This is the BEST book on the Bates method. This one really makes it easy to achieve real vision improvements, as it explains everything in an easy way, and at the same time beeing the most comprehensive book on the subject I've ever seen!
on January 26, 2014
This book offers a great amount of technical information regarding different parts of the eye. While there is brief mention in this book about correcting eyesight problems without surgery or glasses, there is no real guided 'course' to teach people to regain their vision. I bought this book expecting that it would be practical and helpful to anyone, but now I think that it may be better suited to health professionals.