- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Remote Sensing of Drought: Innovative Monitoring Approaches Hardcover – Apr 24 2012
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"This is by far the most comprehensive book on drought studies using satellite remote sensing. The book brings new insights, methods, and approaches to advance remote sensing of drought monitoring by: (a) proposing and discussing new indices, (b) demonstrating operational potential for early warning, (c) integrating and linking a variety of drought related information by studying indicators such as vegetation, evapotranspiration, snowmelt, soil moisture, and precipitation, and (d) providing local, regional, national, and global perspectives. The book is edited and written by some of the highly respected members of the remote sensing community with long year of experience. This book is a must for anyone interested in seeking the most advanced and sophisticated methods of studying Meteorological, Hydrological, Agricultural and Socioeconomic Droughts using advanced remote sensing data, methods, and models."
―Dr. Prasad S. Thenkabail, U.S. Geological Survey
"Brian Wardlow, Martha Anderson, and James Verdin have prepared a seminal book on the interrelationship between drought management and the application of remote sensing technologies to the complex challenges associated with drought monitoring and early warning. ... a timely and informative collection of contributions focused on new technologies that can address the challenges of drought monitoring ..."
―From the Foreword by Donald A. Wilhite, Professor and Director, School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
"I would definitely consider buying this book because I find it interesting to see what prominent authors in the field of drought and vegetation monitoring see as innovative and pre-operational methods at the global scale. … A book like this can help to reinforce the message that high quality early warning and monitoring products can be provided to the community and to decision makers as long as there is political commitment and continuity in the provision of earth observation data."
―Felix Rembold, Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, Italy
About the Author
Brian D. Wardlow is an assistant professor and GIScience program area leader for the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) in the School of Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. For more information, visit the National Drought Mitigation Center web site at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Martha C. Anderson is a physical scientist in the Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agricultural Research Service in Beltsville, Maryland. For more information, visit Dr. Anderson’s web page at USDA ARS.
James P. Verdin is a physical scientist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center, Early Warning and Environmental Monitoring (EWEM) Program. For more information, visit the EWEM web site.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Remote Sensing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Meteorology
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Meteorology
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Rivers
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Weather
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Weather
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Rivers
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Agriculture
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Earth Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies