- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Robin Hood in Popular Culture: Violence, Transgression, and Justice Hardcover – Apr 24 2000
See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
There are no customer reviews yet on Amazon.ca
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
By Allen W. Wright - Published on Amazon.com
Robin Hood in Popular Culture is the proceedings volume of the 1997 Robin Hood academic conference. The papers collected cover the whole range of the legend from the earliest ballads to American legal cases to films to superhero comic books to 1927 Marxist Japanese plays. A great many of the papers are well-written. Unfortunately some are written in "literary speak". But all the articles are informative. This isn't a book for beginner's. Barrie Dobson and Stephen Knight's plenary addresses are helpful for getting a sense of the beginnings of the legend, and where the legend is headed. But for those unfamiliar with the basics of Robin Hood scholarship, I'd recommend Dobson, Knight or J.C. Holt's books on Robin Hood. However, if you are familiar with the basics of the legend, this book is a treasure trove of interesting information about rarely explored nooks and crannies of the outlaw tales.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Fairy Tales
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Culture
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > American Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > English Literature