|1. Medley (Yell Help, Wednesday Night, Ugly)|
|2. Dan Dare (Pilot Of The Future)|
|3. Island Girl|
|4. Grow Some Funk Of Your Own|
|5. I Feel Like A Bullet (In The Gun Of Robert Ford)|
|6. Street Kids|
|7. Hard Luck Story|
|8. Feed Me|
|9. Billy Bones And The White Bird|
|10. Planes (Bonus Track)|
|11. Sugar On The Floor (Bonus Track)|
1. Medley- Good trashy rocky jazzy opener
2. Dan Dare- This is a fun song - I heard it live.. Rocker
3. Island Girl- classic rocker... enjoy
4. Grow some Funk- This might be the best rock song ever..Amazing- Turn up the volume and rock!
5. Bullet- Classic Ballad
6. Street Kids- Up Tempo good tune
7. Hard Luck- not one of my favorites
8. Feed Me- Not one of my favorites
9. Bill Bones- ROCKER! Great way to end
TO sum up this album in a few words...ENERGY.. ROCKIN! enjoy!
The fact that ROCK OF THE WESTIES was another near-dud in Elton's vast career maybe didn't matter to his fans, who helped it become the 2nd album in history to debut at #1 (and the last for over a decade). Even with 3 hit singles, there was little to recommend anyone to buy the album for beyond what they heard on the radio. Some may call it intentionally lightweight, but before this, a lot of Elton's more freewheeling material was much finer-crafted than this.
His 5th #1 single came in the form of the faux-reggae rocker of "Island Girl". Its backhanded tribute to a tropical prostitute is undeniably catchy & certainly miles above GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD's reggae entry "Jamaica Jerk-Off". Even so, I'm sure Elton & Bernie certainly don't consider this to be a personal favorite with their much more prestigious material.
"Grow Some Funk Of Your Own" is appropraitely titled with Elton dabbling in funky rhythms one wouldn't think a White guy could master.Read more ›