Was in the market for a band saw for my kids pinewood derby car. I was intending to pick up a band saw to make the cuts, but came across this item and it had me intrigued. What did it for me vs. a band saw was that it had the guide, it was small/portable, and had more power versus the band saw (5a vs. 2.5a).
It worked very well in making the cuts, met my expectations. Here's what I found great about it:
- 5amps power
- Slider guide for moving the wood/materials
- Drawer for saw bits - included several bits
- Ease in swapping out a bit - takes seconds to swap it out
- Stable/solid on my work bench
Some cons that I found with it:
- Could use a smaller, thinner wood blade to make the cuts (didn't include one, am guessing I can buy one)
- Setting 0 degrees on the guide wasn't perfect - had to tweak the adjustment in order to get a perfectly lined cut (if there exists such a thing)
I didn't use the variable speed dial - not sure if this is useful to some people or not.