Roku 3 Streaming Player - Canada Version (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
|Price:||CDN$ 165.99 FREE SHIPPING.|
- Faster and more powerful. With up to 1080p HD video* and extended-range, dual-band wireless performance for increased speed
- Amazing remote with headphone jack. Use the included in-ear headphones to crank up that late-night flick while the kids (or parents) sleep
- One-stop search. Find your favorite movies and TV shows all from one place?from top TV and Movie services like Netflix growing. The best selection of streaming out there. Everything from Netflix to the NHL.
- 650+ channels and growing. The best selection of streaming out there. Everything from Netflix to NHL
- Free iOS and Android device app. Use it like a remote. Browse and add new channels. Even stream your music and photos from your phone or tablet to your HDTV
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
- Media: Electronics
- Item Quantity: 1
Fully loaded with hundreds of channels, remote with built-in headphone jack, motion-controlled gaming, free Roku app, Ethernet and USB. The all-new Roku 3 the new streaming standard.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) Netflix. The Netflix interface on Roku is current, controls are intuitive with the remote, and most importantly it is FAST. With a good internet connection the browsing experience is excellent.
2) Plex Media Server. We have a lot of media sitting on a machine running Plex, and the Plex app is FANTASTIC. If you don't know what Plex is, it makes your home media library "look like Netflix" - complete with plot summaries, album/movie/tv show art, a great browsing interface, a great search engine. On top of all that it transcodes any type of video into something the Roku can play.
Just a note about Plex - the apps are cross-platform so you can set up your other devices (PS4, Xbox, iDevices, Android etc) with Plex too. But the Roku-Plex integration is especially good.
Other Roku 3 features that surprised me:
- The fact the remote control is NOT infrared; it does not require line-of-sight to the Roku 3 to work. That means you can stash your Roku discreetly behind your TV.
- The headphone jack built into the remote control. I was skeptical but now LOVE it. If there's someone sleeping in your house, you can consume your media without bothering them.
We have only scratched the surface of what this box is capable of, but it's FAST, fluid, and very easy to set up.
- A credit card is required to set up a Roku account to get apps - even if the apps are free. I don't see the need for this.
Then I tried adding channels. Many worked (Netflix, Skynews, Crackle, Vimeo, TED, Livestream, NowhereTV).
But so many are "not available in you area". Such as CNN, BBC, Hubblespace HD, Hulu, Amazon, Spotify, CBCpod, ACEbroadcasting, MythTV, Nook, and Google Maps.
The usb player works fine. The remote is great. The machine is fast and the menus are quick.
Overall, the whole thing seems hobbled compared to what they get in the US. I'll try it for a week but will probably return it, unfortunately. I really hoped this was the device that would free me from cable.
Edit: I bumped it up to 3 stars after following the instructions in Andy Woods' review. Don't get me wrong, the Canadian version is definately very restricted compared to the US version. But I did the following:
1. Pay $5/month to unblock-us so it looks like your router is in the US
2. Register with Roku using Paypal and a made-up US address
The amount of channels available to me now has increased ten-fold (if not more). New options include: the search function mentioned above (and yes, it is great), Plex, Pandora, Spotify, Disney, PBS Kids, Hulu, Redbox, Syfy, HuffPost, NBC News, and on and on and on.
I'm not thrilled about paying monthly, but chances are good I've now found my cable replacement.
PLEX offically makes this a cable killer for me. Free app. Gives me access to CTV local news. And it connects to my media files on my computer, organizes them, adds posters and descriptions, and streams them to my Roku with no hassle at all. I've now ordered my second Roku and have cancelled cable. Upped this review to 4/5 stars.
First off: I use unblockus as well. I really believe this is the only way to maximize the use of the roku.
Roku 3: Its fast. Easy to use. Amazing picture quality. My favorite feature is combining the roku with the PLEX media server. Allowing you to wirelessly stream your downloaded movies to your TV in HD quality. PLEX is a must. I love the fact that it uses less energy than most nightlight's. It's incredibly small but not too light. Roku stated that with the roku3 they didn't bother making it any lighter and I could see how if they had your hdmi cable would easily pull it around if moved at all. I have yet to have any problems with it. It has yet to stall, freeze or need rebooting.
Notes: I was surprised at the lack of mounting bracket available on the market. To maximize its range it needs to be somewhat in the open. This would be essential if you had it connected wirelessly to another tv on a different floor. Easy solution. I attached heavy duty velcro to the back of the roku and to my tv. The weight of the cables doesn't pull it off and this way all I have to do is reach around to the back of the tv to access the USB port if I wanted to play movies off the flash drive.
The remote is nice and light. Well built and easy to use. The much touted headphone jack is nice but to be completely honest I really haven't found a need to use it. Would be a great feature in a shared bedroom. I do however wish someone would create a third party Gel Bumper Cover similar to the Wii Remotes to help protect it. But a minor detail.
Limitations: It seems everyone is moving to replace their cable.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
I've had this device for over a year now and I love it. Very pleased with this purchase.Published 1 month ago by Fabiola F.