Romantic Education Paperback – Jun 1 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
Hampl adds a new afterword to this 1981 memoir/travelogue about her ancestral home, Prague, based on her 1991 return visit.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Patricia Hampl, Regents' Professor at the University of Minnesota, lives in St. Paul.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
"...I understood finally that I had no business judging any of it or any of them... The Czechs may want to be part of 'the West,' but they know the West -- me with my blue American passport -- can't be part of their tangled history, their inner family. I may have 'my Mala Strana apartment,' but I'm forever a tourist on the bridge, dazzled by the scene."
My conclusion as well -- but she said it so much better! A terrific book!
I felt myself travelling with her, trying to find out something, anything, about my roots.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Authors
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups > Women
- Books > History > Europe > Czech Republic
- Books > History > Europe > Eastern
- Books > History > Europe > Slovakia
- Books > Literature & Fiction