SAS Survival Handbook: For Any Climate, in Any Situation Paperback – Mar 3 2009
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
“A classic outdoor manual. ... Written by John Wiseman, former survival instructor for Britain’s elite Special Air Service (an all-conditions strike force considered by some to be tougher than the U.S. Navy SEALs), the book addresses every conceivable disaster scenario. ... Don’t leave home without it.” (Outside magazine)
From the Back Cover
Includes new case studies and survival scenarios
The experts' survival techniques, based on John 'Lofty' Wiseman's 26 years in the SAS
Practical, easy-to-follow advice with diagrams and color illustrations
*Visit the Apple iTunes store to be fully equipped with the SAS Survival Guide iPhone App.--This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition. See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Next up is my biggest disappointment in the book. Out of almost six hundred pages, around one hundred are spent talking about finding food. Even though the book repeatedly states how you can go for weeks without food and still survive. Tips on mushroom picking, plant harvesting, and especially hunting are likely to be futile at best, back-fire at worst. There are nice color pictures of various plants which is a helpful bonus, but many edible plants look dangerously like poisonous plants, even more so with mushrooms, so this is a dangerous bit of advice. As for hunting, the idea of someone crashing in a plane, building their own bow, then hunting, killing, skinning, and eating big game is somewhere between ludicrous and sheer fantasy. So while the chapter was sort of fun to read, some of the space could have been better utilized elsewhere.
Following this chapter are chapters including: finding and building shelters, rope use, first aid, navigation, signaling, and surviving in ocean environments. The book ends with a description of survival in urban disasters, ranging from terrorist attacks to tsunami's. The last page of the book reiterates the author's basic philosophy. The most important facet of survival is will.Read more ›
you may be a survivalist, and you may disagree with some of the things mentioned in this book, but you cannot disagree about owning this book. It is a must have.
A must have for any traveler's backpack.
1) Concise, is an encyclopedia of info on how to survive in most biomes.
2) Cheap, for the information it contains the price is incredible. To think that all this knowledge is only 10$!!!
3) Organized. Because its been around for so long the organization has been optimized.
4) Written by a well researched and experienced author.
1) There is an app available for iOS and Android that you must purchase on top of this book, it would be nice if that were included in the package. The digital version includes some useful tools that utilize your smart phones sensors.
2) Bad pictures. The recent survival craze has unleashed a massive amount of high quality survival books with comparable info to this one, some of which are very well illustrated with real photos especially of plants, user friendly infographics etc this has black and white drawings and some colored drawings of plants that are useless.
3) Plant pictures won't help you much. Its hard to identify certain plants accuratley even with real photos due to look alikes and the fact that plants look widley different depending on what stage of growth its at. Relying on the drawings in this book may be rolling the dice...
4) No depth. This book covers a broad array of topics in a narrow way, you are likely better off buying a survival book tailored to your ecosystem/ biome.
5) Redundant weight. As said above, carrying a heavy book in the boreal forest in which only 50% of it will be pertainent to your environment may be a waste of weight and space...Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
Probably the book with the more complete knowledge about survival.Published 1 month ago by Patrice Plouffe
Good information, well laid out. A good book to have around, which covers a lot of subjects.Published 2 months ago by Victoria
this is the kind of book everybody should have in their libraries. and at that price you should already have it. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Bryan
Very interesting read. Awesome for backpacking, or something to keep in the bathroom for people to pick up and flip through :)
Lots of info in a tiny book!!!!
Essential for bushcraft, urban survival or just improving your camping trips! ;)Published 3 months ago by B. Bishop