- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Salyut - The First Space Station: Triumph and Tragedy Paperback – Jul 7 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the reviews:
"This work chronicles the history of the first space station, Salyut 1, which was built by the former Soviet Union and launched unmanned in April 1971. … The author also discusses the interactions between the space agency and the Kremlin in Moscow as well as other interpersonal rivalries. The book includes many excellent half-tone photographs, biographies of the cosmonauts, and a glossary. Summing Up: Recommended. Public, general, and undergraduate libraries, all levels." (J. Z. Kiss, Choice, Vol. 46 (5), January, 2009)
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Ivanovich reinforces other works that also demonstrate why the Soviets lost the moon race - inflated egos, mismanagement, bureaucracy and poor quality control - all of which resulted in the needless death of the crew. From the tragic loss, however, a more robust and safer space program ensued.
The prose is at times highly technical but reader patience is rewarded. The black-and-white photographs include many never before published. Ivanovich takes considerable effort in providing details of the lives and experiences of the three cosmonauts, including exerpts from family members.
This book is also a great companion piece to "The First Soviet Cosmonaut Team" and should be required reading for anyone who has been a follower of the Soviet/Russian space program.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Asia > Russia
- Books > History > Russia
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Aerospace
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Astronomy > Astronomy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy > Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy > Astronomy
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Technology
- Books > Science & Math > Physics
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Aeronautical Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics