summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on July 7, 2004
Here's the full list of movies:
The Incredible Petrified World
Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet
Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women
King of Kong Island
Bride of the Gorilla
Attack of the Monsters (aka Gamera vs. Guiron)
Gammera, the Invincible
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Teenagers From Outer Space
Crash of the Moons (Rocky Jones)
Menace From Outer Space (Rocky Jones)
Hercules Against The Moonmen
The Snow Creature
Son of Hercules
Devil of the Desert vs. the Son of Hercules
First Spaceship On Venus
Zontar, the Thing From Venus (remake of "It Conquered the World")
The Astral Factor (aka "The Invisible Strangler")
The Galaxy Invader
Prehistoric Women
They Came From Beyond Space
Warning From Space
The Phantom Planet
Planet Outlaws (Buck Rogers)
Colossus and the Amazon Queen
Eegah
Cosmos: War of the Planets
Destroy All Planets (aka Gamera vs. Viras)
0Comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2007
I bought this knowing I was making a huuuge deal! I knew already that these movies were not Peter Jackson's HD-DVD King Kong quality but I was still surprised! All these movies are monophonic and full screen... but hey! There are 50 of them! Most of them you can buy individually for 15$ on a not-very-much-better-quality DVD! There are ALL watchable movies, some of them are even pretty good! Where I had a problem is when I received my box-set, I was looking forward to watch, most of all, Robot Monster. The problem is that Robot Monster was replaced by "Moon of the wolf"! Nobody knew about this change in the edtion of the pack so amazon sent me another one to correct the mistake... but it had the same problem. So be careful, don't buy this set for Robot Monster!..But buy it anyway!...NOW!
on January 14, 2014
The movie list in the review below is incorrect. The list was changed, along with the box art. The list refers to the earlier version (red cover).

Four movies were removed from the red-box version:
Robot Monster (1953)
Devil of the Desert vs. Son of Hercules (1964)
Zontar, The Thing From Venus (1966)
Battle of the Worlds (1961)

Instead you get in the black box version:
Giants of Rome (1964)
Moon of the Wolf
The Alpha Incident
Snowbeast
the rest of which are 1970s' vintage.

Otherwise, it's a fair collection. Not great reproduction or quality, but for the price it's a real bargain. A must-have for those of us who like B-film scifi. I would personally like to have more pre-1970 films of this sort in the collection, rather than the later ones.
I bought this set a couple of years ago. Recently I had some time on my hands so I quickly previewed a few of the Mill Creek 50 movie packs including this SCI - FI collection and looked at all 12 discs again for content and image quality . There are more than a few great films in this collection that make it worthwhile. There's plenty of great campy content and "killer B's" in this 50 movie pack. A few of the highlights are Mesa of Lost Woman, Prehistoric Women, Teenagers From Outer Space, and The Wasp Woman.

The picture quality on some movies leaves a lot to be desired though. Are you old enough to remember VHS and SP, LP, and EP? If your answer is yes, let this be your guide. Much of the content looks like it's EP quality, the rest is much sharper. In fact some movies are so soft that they look like they've been copied again and again. They lack proper detail and are several generations removed from the originals. I'd say about half of the films look really good and most of the others are acceptable. Very few of them come close to actual DVD quality picture standards. That's okay, I personally don't mind VHS quality once in a while if I enjoy the movie, and this set only cost me ten bucks!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon July 13, 2004
I bought about a fourth of these movies and they were very economically priced, however even with duplicates this pack would be worth purchasing. Many of them are Roger Corman classics. Others are so bad that you have to watch then to tell people that you too have eclectic tastes. The individual titles come and go so get them all while you can.
Be sure to read all the individual reviews (after you buy the collection).
A few of highlights:
The Incredible Petrified World - 66 minutes long
Queen of the Amazons - original title "Amazons and Gladiators"
Robot Monster - terminator in a fur suit
She Gods of Shark Reef - natives and sharks but no She Gods
The Amazing Transparent Man - you can see through this one
The Wasp Woman - a stinging performance
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians - it is an abduction story
Teenagers From Outer Space - so what is new?
Crash of the Moons (Rocky Jones) - female ruler with a nasty attitude
Mesa of Lost Women - Horrible background music
Killers From Space - saw this as a kid - still spooky - Ping-Pong ball eyes
Zontar, the Thing From Venus - rubber Venusians
There are a few glaring omissions including "The Crawling Eye"
on April 11, 2015
HORRIBLE, Do Not Buy. It looks like someone transfered these great movies from old VHS cassettes, using a phone or video camera to record it off an old CRT TV.

Amazon, should investigate any copyright offences that may be being committed with the sale of these videos.

I was going to purchase other video classics, but will not. I will have to assume that all these classics collections are all poor quality.

A little education on B&W movies. When B&W are filmed it is considered HD quality due to the lack of color information, B&W movies have larger bandwidth of information because the grey-scale information has a range.

DO NOT BUY ANY OF THESE MOVIES, You will be very disappointed. I bought it a $10.00, if I paid more I would have returned them.
on December 22, 2012
King of the "B" movies, that should be all anyone needs to know. Anyone who knows Sci FI movies should understand.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 3, 2013
If so, the most obvious and direct way of achieving that goal would be to... well, you know. Go take some drugs. But I suppose that's not for everybody. Fortunately, for those who respect their minds and bodies, there is another way: just watch this movie. Which is something you can do for free on YouTube, by the way: the full version is available.

But getting back to the actual movie, Assignment Outer Space is a deeply, deeply strange offering. Most especially coming from people who don't appear to have actually been trying to produce a really out-there, avant-garde art-house film. In fact, it's so strange that it's hard for me to know where to even begin explaining it. So I'm just going to take the old cop-out and begin at the beginning.

Personally, I found my way to this flick because some of the spaceship footage from it was used in one of Michio Kaku's many Discovery Channel documentaries. The special effects are actually quite okay for the period. They're not up to the standard of films like Destination Moon,Conquest of Space, or Forbidden Planet, but they're okay. Anyway, inspired a long love of classic sci-fi, I paid close attention to the credits at the end of Michio's documentary and quickly tracked the movie down. What I found when I finally got to watch it through from beginning to end was...

Umm...

Well, if you're familiar with the old Nickelodeon cartoon The Angry Beavers, this is the closest thing I've ever seen to the 1950s sci-fi film parodies that graced so many episodes in that series. In fact, going back even further down the Nicktoon linage, this is a movie with an almost Ren & Stimpy feel to it. The only difference is that as far as I can tell, Assignment Outer Space appears to have been made in absolute, deadly earnest.

So how can I possibly explain this movie to those not familiar with such references?

To begin with, the photography appears to be heavily shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum. Whether this was done as a deliberate choice or was simply the result of technical problems I don't know. But either way, the effect is pretty trippy. Now add to this the fact that this is a piece of science fiction apparently written by a screenwriter who neither knew nor cared a damn about actual science. I'll grant it's hardly unique in that, but this thing seems to have been written by someone so profoundly ignorant that he didn't even realize that travelling to another galaxy would mean leaving our own solar system. So it's hardly suprising then that much of the time I found myself feeling a little confused: really having to work at figuring out exactly what was supposed to be going on, and where the characters were supposed to be. Finally, finish all this off with ponderously dubbed dialogue, virtually all of which is delivered in the most deadly serious tone you can imagine. Indeed, much of the film's profound strangeness is actually the result of this unwavering, almost inhuman solemnity. Even in those scant few moments where the characters do break with this deadly seriousness, the break is so sudden, and comes so completely out of nowhere, that such moments heighten rather than lessen the general aura of bizarre incomprehensibility. Perhaps the most marked example of this is that the movie includes what is surely the most unconvincing romantic sub-plot I've ever seen in my life. And there you have it: Assignment Outer Space!

Oh, one last thing. The icing on this delightful little cupcake is that I strongly suspect that the master tape from which the DVD was made was some old VHS cassette that'd been lying around in the back of someone's cupboard since the 1980s. Because different versions are likely to have different video quality, let me stress that the version I personally saw was the "Remastered Edition", purchased from Amazon's US website. All I can say is if that is what passes for the remastered edition, I shudder to imagine what the video quality must've been like on the version that preceded it.

So how the Hell do I assign a star rating to this thing?

That's a tougher question than you might think. No, it's not a good film (at least, not in the way that the word "good" is normally understood), but it's not simply a bad one either. Nor even is it your garden variety "so bad it's good" piece of sci-fi schlock. What we have here is, as I said in the beginning, deeply, deeply strange.

In any event, I've decided that I'm going to give it three stars. Not that that really covers it - according to Amazon, three stars simply means "it's okay", when frankly, that's just about the last thing I would say about this movie. But it's the best I can do. And now, having explained the film as well as I can, I'm signing off and leaving you to your own devices. Whether or not you actually want to watch it for yourself is up to you.

Theo.
on May 3, 2004
I have the 50 Mystery Movie Pack and the 50 Horror Movie pack and they are worth the price many times over. It's like old Fright Night fests on telly or a 1950's Drive-In allnighter!
Queen of the Amazons, The Robot Monster, The Amazing Transparent Man, The Wasp Woman, Bride of the Monster, Attack of the Monsters, Gamera the Invincible, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Teenagers From Outerspace, 5 Hercules ficks, Lost Jungle, Mesa of Lost Women, Eagah (one of my all time favs of Slock B-movies!) and dozens of more!
So pop a bowl of popcorn and sit back and enjoy all the movies so bad they are good...well, sort of!!
If you are watching this film without the assistance of MST-3000, you are going to have to know where to laugh on your own. The film opens up with Gary (Alexander D'Arcy) conducting dancing auditions for a group of actresses of German extract. One dances ballet, another simply doffs her dress, while others show off their legs up sexy upskirts.

The group goes Travels to Singapore, but alas they crash before they get there. Sadly, it is the type of crash where no one gets hurt and the women don'e have to eat each other. They arrive at an island with uranium ore and a huge spider. They find the cabin of "the professor" who is dead in a giant very fake looking spider's web. There is no sign of any decay.

Gary gets bitten by a giant spider which instantly alters his DNA and turns him into a horrible spider-man, who stalks the girls. The girls like to skinny dip, which we see from a distance, take showers with their back to the camera, use whips on each other, and cat fight with sexy up skirts. The film uses a jazz soundtrack to make the girls more sexy. This is an early attempt to combine horror with sexuality...although they both lacked.

This film is shot "Ed Wood" style with day and night scenes happening at the same time. (Who will notice?) Also known as "Body in the Web." This ranks in the bottom 100 of bad campy films.

No f-bombs, sex, continuity, or nudity as we know it. I rate it 5 stars for all the wrong reasons.