- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Searching for Emma: Gustave Flaubert and Madame Bovary Hardcover – Feb 28 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Italian feminist Maraini, a novelist, poet, dramatist, and journalist, takes on literary criticism here, recalling the unease she felt, at age 16, in reaction to "the mocking, angry way the author had introduced me to" Emma Bovary, and revisiting this narrative--in which "Emma still seems to be a hostage . . . to her author, who pursues her with a ruthlessness and tenacity that verge on the grotesque, and with a bitter, mocking determination" --as a way to understand "the relationship between authors and their characters in general." Thus, Maraini retells the Bovary story, intertwined with selections from Flaubert's letters, drawing links between the novel and its author's relationships--with his mother, his mistress Louise Colet, various male friends, even himself. A graceful, nuanced examination of a classic novel, appropriate where Bovary and/or feminist criticism circulate. Mary Carroll
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > French
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > European
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies