Secrets of Voodoo Paperback – Jan 1 2001
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book is not for the beginners and it does not candy coat Voodoo, it gives you a ruff down of what Voodoo's practices, rites, passages, magic, and sacrifices are all about. This book is an overview of the religion, as it is impossible for a Mystery of such vast Knowledge, beauty and Wisdom to be justly explained in 217 or so pages. It is not meant for all, but for those who truly respects and want to honor the Lwas, this is a good start. Although an ordained Houngan or Mambo would be your best bet.
If you're interested in this subject, "Vodou Visions" by Glassman is a better choice for beginners, or "Jambalaya" by Luisah Teish to explore women's spirituality, particularly Voudou- and African-related. Both of those books are vastly easier to read, and more current.
However, for thorough research into Vodun/Voudoo/Voodoo, this book provides extensive information, and some unrelated but insightful notes to lead you deeper into the context of African-based traditions.
His interpretations, while academic and hard to follow at times, give a unique glimpse at how an "earth religion" can be a deep and rich spiritual well, concealing gems of hidden wisdom, profound thought, and beautiful insight.
Maybe not for the neophyte but certainly worth reading. Five stars!
Most recent customer reviews
secrets of voodoo is a very good book for anyone interested in the Voodoo religion. lots of information.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51-8QrCiUCL._SS300_.jpgPublished 2 months ago by Barbara Shinton
"Secrets of Voodoo" - despite the sensationalistic title, this is an EXCELLENT book Secrets of Voodoo gives a comprehensive overview of the origins, history, theology,... Read morePublished on Feb. 4 1999
well like i said i spent a lot of time on this book and i thought i could 've done better on it if i wasn't in such a hurry to finish itPublished on Feb. 2 1999
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Religious & Inspirational > Christian > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Folklore & Mythology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Earth-Based Religions > Paganism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Cults & Demonism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Tribal & Ethnic
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences