From the Back Cover
Inoculate your network against the viruses, worms, and Trojans of today -and tomorrow
Virus writers are becoming craftier and more numerous every year, resulting in huge losses-in revenue, data, productivity, and reputation-for companies and organizations around the world. Going beyond the partial ?xes of today's off-the-shelf security solutions, this book delivers the hands-on strategies and tactics you need to foil malicious code-and protect the integrity of your network. Drawing on his day-to-day networking experience, security expert Douglas Schweitzer describes the threats-both current and projected-and offers detailed, practical advice for securing BIOS, boot sequences, e-mail, instant messaging, Web servers, and more. It's all you need to lock out viruses-and lock down security for your network.
You'll learn how to:
* Understand the threat virus writers and hackers pose
* Get a handle on various types of malicious code
* Protect BIOS, booting, ?le systems, memory, and other basics
* Secure e-mail, browsers, and ?le sharing
* Eliminate virus threats to instant messaging
* Mobilize staff against the threat of viruses and social engineering
* Strengthen ?rewalls, intrusion detection, and data recovery
* Defend against server-side exploits
* Prepare for cyberterrorism and the viruses of the future
The companion Web site contains multiple links to security software solutions.
About the Author
Douglas Schweitzer, A+, Network+, i-Net+, CCNA, CIW, Brainbench Internet Security Certi?ed, is vice-president at an actuarial consulting ?rm, where he is responsible for network security and design. He is also the author of Internet Security Made Easy.