- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Self-Organized Criticality: Emergent Complex Behavior in Physical and Biological Systems Paperback – Jan 13 1998
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"...describes clearly and concisely the basic ideas and the experimental evidence...and then balances the evidence and argues, in a soft voice and a mild manner, that SOC is a good idea and is at least worth looking into. And it is hard to disagree, when the proposal is stated in such gracious and intelligent terms...This book overall is eminently pleasing to read." Physics Today
Self-organized criticality (SOC) is based upon the idea that complex behavior can develop spontaneously in certain multi-body systems whose dynamics vary abruptly. This book is a clear and concise introduction to the field of self-organized criticality, and contains an overview of the main research results. The author presents and analyzes computer models to describe a number of systems, and he explains the different mathematical formalisms developed to understand SOC. The final chapter assesses the impact of this field of study, and highlights some key areas of new research.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Consider a collection of electrons, or a pile of sand grains, a bucket of fluid, an elastic network of springs, an ecosystem, or the community of stock-market dealers. Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Chaos & Systems
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > System Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Acoustics & Sound
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Chaos & Systems
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > System Theory
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics