Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

on August 25, 2007
Now that I finally have this book, I can understand why these socks are being knit everywhere. Beautiful socks based on a thorough understanding of sock construction. I've read the book and learned a lot without having knit from it yet. (Not sure where to start, really!)

While the book takes you from scratch, its real strength seems to be as a resource for the somewhat experienced sock knitter. I know I'll refer to it for different heel and toe styles even when knitting from someone else's patterns -- but I'll be knitting for quite a while from this book!

The beautiful reticulated and mosaic patterns are terrifically appealing. Or if you prefer to knit with a single yarn, just find your gauge, browse the stitch dictionaries, and off you go.

The one thing I'd change about this book is the binding. I can see that it's not going to lie flat unless I mash the spine, and who wants to do that to a beautiful book?

Other than that reservation, I'm delighted with this book and recommend it to anyone who wants to kick their sock knitting up a notch.
on September 10, 2007
This is a fantastic book -- Charlene provides clear, concise directions for beginners and experienced sock knitters. She explains the math of socks and just in case you don't want to run the numbers yourself, she then provides plenty of tables by foot size by yarn gauge so you can design and knit with any kind of yarn for any foot. The experienced sock knitter will also enjoy some of her unusual patterns such as the mosaic designs where each row is a combination of knits stitches (for one color) and slip stitches for the other color. Next row you switch colors. These patterns make wonderfully complex looking, interesting patterns that are super simple to make. If you were to only buy one sock book, I recommend this be part of your knitting repetoire!
on September 18, 2013
Love knitting books and this one has some variations that are great. The feel of your own knitted socks is very comforting.