march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on August 25, 2007
Now that I finally have this book, I can understand why these socks are being knit everywhere. Beautiful socks based on a thorough understanding of sock construction. I've read the book and learned a lot without having knit from it yet. (Not sure where to start, really!)

While the book takes you from scratch, its real strength seems to be as a resource for the somewhat experienced sock knitter. I know I'll refer to it for different heel and toe styles even when knitting from someone else's patterns -- but I'll be knitting for quite a while from this book!

The beautiful reticulated and mosaic patterns are terrifically appealing. Or if you prefer to knit with a single yarn, just find your gauge, browse the stitch dictionaries, and off you go.

The one thing I'd change about this book is the binding. I can see that it's not going to lie flat unless I mash the spine, and who wants to do that to a beautiful book?

Other than that reservation, I'm delighted with this book and recommend it to anyone who wants to kick their sock knitting up a notch.
on September 10, 2007
This is a fantastic book -- Charlene provides clear, concise directions for beginners and experienced sock knitters. She explains the math of socks and just in case you don't want to run the numbers yourself, she then provides plenty of tables by foot size by yarn gauge so you can design and knit with any kind of yarn for any foot. The experienced sock knitter will also enjoy some of her unusual patterns such as the mosaic designs where each row is a combination of knits stitches (for one color) and slip stitches for the other color. Next row you switch colors. These patterns make wonderfully complex looking, interesting patterns that are super simple to make. If you were to only buy one sock book, I recommend this be part of your knitting repetoire!
on April 16, 2015
Great book/patterns EXCEPT there are many errors in it.. you need to go to the publishers website and get all the corrections. There are quite a few pages of corrections to print. I found some of the corrections a little confusing as well. It is a shame that my book is now all marked up, but the patterns are wonderful--nice enough that I bought Charlene Schurch's following book "More Sensational Knitted Socks". I believe there were corrections to download with that book as well--but not near as many. I love the reference charts that are given with every sock design so that you can knit any sock in almost any weight of yarn. Charlene also gives charts in the beginning of the book that will give a very good estimate of sock size (and thus construction), even if you only have a person's shoe size (she details how to accomodate adjustments also). These charts make the book so much more valuable and versatile.. You pick the style, the pick the yarn weight, then you look up the size/shoe size you need to make and you will have all the instructions to make the sock of your choice in the book. There are also a variety of patterns that can be substituted in place of the style pattern used, and there are a selection of pattern varieties noted for each sock style that is detailed. I love the layout, content and especially the charts in this book; the only reason I gave less than 5 stars is because of all the errors in the book (my copy looks a little hacked up after I inserted all the correction notes). I am including a link to the errata data from the publisher: http://shopmartingale.com/corrections/B687_corrections.pdf
on September 18, 2013
Love knitting books and this one has some variations that are great. The feel of your own knitted socks is very comforting.