Sergiu Celibidache Conduc... has been added to your Cart

Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon

Sergiu Celibidache Conducts Ravel and Debussy [Import]

Price: CDN$ 29.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
Only 1 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Gift-wrap available.
12 new from CDN$ 26.49 3 used from CDN$ 62.88
Unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping for Six Months When You Try Amazon Student

58th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Discover this year's nominees on CD and Vinyl, including Album of the Year, Artist of the Year, Best New Artist of the Year, and more. Learn more

Product Details

  • Directors: Janos Darvas
  • Format: Classical, Color, DVD-Video, Widescreen, NTSC, Import
  • Language: English
  • Region: All RegionsAll Regions
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
  • Number of discs: 1
  • MPAA Rating: NR
  • Studio: Ideale Audience
  • Release Date: April 29 2008
  • Run Time: 101 minutes
  • Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
  • ASIN: B0014QNH36
  •  Would you like to update product info, give feedback on images, or tell us about a lower price?

Product Description

Sergiu Celibidache Conducts Ravel And Debussy

Customer Reviews

There are no customer reviews yet on
5 star
4 star
3 star
2 star
1 star

Most Helpful Customer Reviews on (beta) HASH(0xa0bc50c0) out of 5 stars 8 reviews
8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
HASH(0xa1595b70) out of 5 stars Get this, while it's still in print. July 21 2011
By Kip Montgomery - Published on
Verified Purchase
You had better buy this before it disappears and becomes a collector's item (see his CD's of Bruckner symphonies with Munich, if you want an example).

The whole disc is mind-blowingly extraordinary, a wealth of great music, performed with depth, beauty and sensitivity. The only other thing I'll say is that, once you've heard Celibidache's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, you will never be able to listen to anyone else's performance ever again. This is a performance that will leave you in a puddle of tears, if only you will allow yourself to love the glacial tempo. When I play this recording for my students in my music appreciation classes, 90% of them fall asleep; but, for the other 10%, it changes their lives.
5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
By B. M. Henry - Published on
Verified Purchase
The music this conductor produced sends shivers down my spine it is so good. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the effect he produced in musical terms. I really wish I'd known about him while he was still alive. Better late than never!
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
HASH(0xa10531e0) out of 5 stars Celibidache Conducts Ravel and Debussy Aug. 7 2011
By Donald Waits - Published on
Verified Purchase
This is a rare and wonderful chance to see this marvelous man conduct and present his extremely personal and unique vision of these French masterworks. The fact that the tempos are slower than anyone else is, to me, beside the point. The musicians in the orchestra are not up to the finest standards, but Celibidache gets more out of them by careful and long rehearsals and guidance. It would have been most enjoyable to have seen him conduct the Berlin or the Vienna Philharmonics. Here is a man who went his own way, regardless of the critics and backbiting. I watched this DVD FOUR times in a row and each time was an increased and wonderful musical experience. It is easy to see why this man was such a legend. Now I have to acquire all of the DVDs available before some ignoramus decides to remove them from circulation. TEN stars!!!
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
HASH(0xa0b0f39c) out of 5 stars Wonderful music wonderfully performed Oct. 12 2012
By Carl C Rasmussen - Published on
Verified Purchase
This was my first exposure to Dr Celibidache. I'm thankful this DVD is available despite Celibidache's reasoned opposition to recordings. Conducting without a score and at a slower tempo than is usually heard, and supported by a fully-formed and capable orchestra, all contribute to this unique listening experience. Sadly this man, in his 80's at the time of this 2-day recording session, died two years later.
HASH(0xa0b0f2d0) out of 5 stars One of the greatest conductors ever April 5 2014
By Music Lover - Published on
Verified Purchase
Sergiu Celibidache, although not very well known by the general public was an amazing musician and this DVD demonstrates it. I have many recording of L'apres midie d'une faun but this one takes me to a higher dimension. The same is true of the other performances on this disk. He did strange things with the tempi on some pieces (Nuages in Debussy's Nocturnes as an example) and it takes getting used to after hearing this piece performed at a faster tempo. But I think it's worth it because he heard music perhaps in a different way than most other conductors. That being said, I highly recommend this DVD