From the Back Cover
You could think of Setting Up LAMP
as four books in one, but it'sactually something much more valuable: a single volume that presents theopen-source technologies known collectively as LAMP— Linux, Apache, MySQL,and PHP—as tightly dovetailed components of today’s most affordableand effective platform for building dynamic web-based applications.
Eachtechnology has uses outside of this context, of course, but within it they formsomething greater than the sum of their parts. This book shows you how to takefull advantage of this power, walking you through all the steps required to layyour Linux foundation, install and configure your Apache web server, and thenbegin using PHP to access content stored in MySQL. Here are a few of the specifictopics you’ll find covered inside:
- Installing andconfiguring qmail with support for IMAP, POP3, SMTP, virtual domains, spamfiltering, and antivirus
- Managing system users and groups
- Configuringyour network
- Creating a custom firewall script using IPtables
- Recognizing when a system is in distress
- Handling MySQL databasereplication
- Configuring virtual domains
- Writing a basic PHP script thatintegrates with MySQL
If you're new to all of this, you'll quickly getto where you need to be to start developing and deploying the higher-level piecesof your web application. Even if you have experience with one or all of thesetechnologies, this book—including its quick-start installationappendix—is a resource you’ll want close by whenever you’re setting up or fine-tuning your LAMP system.
About the Author