- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Shake, Rattle and Roll: Yugoslav Rock Music and the Poetics of Social Critique Hardcover – Jan 2 2013
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
'Dalibor Misina's research gives ... a new insight into the socially engaged rock music in former Yugoslavia and points out the similarities of this engagement among musicians from different countries, time periods and music styles that have not previously been discussed'. International Review of the Sociology and Aesthetics of Music (IRASM) 'Shake, Rattle and Roll represents an important contribution to the study of popular music in socialist Europe and forms part of a renewed scholarly interest in the cultural history of pre-break-up Yugoslavia in its own right. Its primary appeal is likely to be to region specialists, whether that region is thought of as the former Yugoslavia or as the wider European state socialist space. It can nevertheless also be recommended to those interested in the social and political position of rock music in other types of system. Its grounding in the specificities of Yugoslav socialist thought helps to extend ideas of how rock musicians participate in social and political critique beyond the commonplaces that are sometimes to be found in studies or models based solely on the West'. Journal of World Popular Music
About the Author
Dalibor MiÅ¡ina is Assistant Professor of Sociology at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario (Canada). His research incorporates the areas of sociological theory, media, popular culture, social transformations and change, and globalization.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Yugoslavia
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Popular
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Ethnic & International
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Popular
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Rock
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture > Music
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Music