From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef's arsenal of tools--it's used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic's amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 "Super Steel" with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel--16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife's beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife's handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material: ||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal. |
|Bevel: ||Double-beveled |
|Cutting angle: ||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side. |
|Handle Material: ||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions. |
|Sharpening recommendations: ||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener. |
The Shun Classic Ultimate Utility knife features a cutting edge that combines a low-frequency serration at the tip with by a smooth edge at the back. This combination makes the knife perfect for slicing delicate thin-skinned fruits and vegetables, as well as chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. The Ultimate Utility knife has a broad blade and a curved belly, allowing you to rock the knife on the cutting board. The wide blade with its rounded tip also makes it a great knife for spreading mayo on a sandwich. Then use the serrated part of the knife to cut the sandwich in half without tearing. It may not look "traditional," but the Shun Classic Ultimate Utility knife is about performance where it countsâ€"in your kitchen. Try it and you'll be amazed at how often you'll find yourself reaching for this multi-function knife.Steel: VG-10 cutting core, Pattern Damascus cladding of SUS410/SUS431 stainless; 16 layers each side Handle: "D" shaped ebony-black PakkaWoodÂ® Blade Length: 6 in. (15.2 cm) Kasumi Method of KnifemakingExtreme 16Â° convex-ground, double-bevel blade (32Â° comprehensive)NSF CertifiedShun Classicâ€TMs tasteful and contemporary designs feature beautiful Damascus-clad blades and D-shaped ebony PakkaWood handles. Behind the knivesâ€TM beauty is function: razor-sharp blades offering the most extreme performance possible. Shunâ€TMs VG10 steel, known for its incredible edge retention, is clad with Damascus stainless steel, then bead-blasted, creating a woodgrain pattern that allows the blade to slide easily through food. The result is knives that are sharp, durable, and corrosion-resistant, as well as beautiful to behold. Shun Classic also offers the widest assortment of both traditional blade shapes and cutting edge designs, so you can always find the right knife for the task.