- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Sinners? Scroungers? Saints?: Unmarried Motherhood in Twentieth-Century England Hardcover – Jul 21 2012
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
"[A]n engaging study of the intersection of English attitudes, social trends, and public policy as it relates to unmarried mothers and their children. ... [T]he authors provide insight into an important aspect of society, culture, and politics while demonstrating the continuity of English society and attitudes toward unmarried parents and their children." --Historian
About the Author
Pat Thane's publications include: Maternity and Gender Policies: Women and the Rise of the European Welfare States, 1880s-1950s (1991); Old Age in English History: Past Experiences, Present Issues (2000); Women and Ageing in Britain since 1500 (2001); Unequal Britain: Equalities in Britain since 1945 (2010); Women and Citizenship in Britain and Ireland in the Twentieth Century: What Difference did the Vote Make? (2010). Tanya Evans is working on a transnational history of the family in Australia and Britain from the eighteenth century through to the present. Previously she was a Research Fellow at the Institute of Historical Research in London. Her publications include 'Unfortunate Objects': Lone Mothers in Eighteenth-Century London (2005). She is co-editing a Special Issue of Australian Historical Studies on Biography and Life-Writing. She curated an exhibition on Lone Mothers, Past and Present at The Woman's Library, London Metropolitan University in 2007-8 and she has been commissioned to curate another on 'Family Life in Colonial New South Wales' by the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales for the Museum of Sydney in 2013.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > History
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Parenting & Families
- Books > History > Europe > England > London
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > History > Gay & Lesbian
- Books > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Family Relationships > Motherhood
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies > Motherhood
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History > Europe
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Gender Studies