Fascinating, original and carefully researched, 'Snitch!' is an intelligent and superbly readable book on a subject that could not be more timely. —Richard J. Aldrich, Professor of International Security, University of Warwick
"A UK expert on security and intelligence contributes to the little existing scholarship on informers with a survey that provides social and historical context on those who supply information to government agencies on intelligence matters rather than crime. From case studies of famous informers (e.g., Ronald Reagan), informer states, and the use of informers in the current 'war on terror,' Hewitt concludes that snitching is a state activity to be feared because of the existing lack of limitations and transparency." -Eithne O'Leyne, BOOK NEWS, Inc.
"Snitch! is a concise and fluent reminder that, for all the publicity about increasing technical surveillance, informers were not just the first way by which states sought security information but are now re-emphasised as a critical feature of countering terrorism. Through examining famous cases and general aspects of the recruitment and use of informers, Steve Hewitt has provided an excellent survey of their utility for 'authorities’ and the personal and social costs entailed." —Peter Gill, University of Liverpool
About the Author
Dr Steve Hewitt isan expert on security and intelligence and Senior Lecturer in the Department of American and Canadian Studies at the
Browse and search another edition of this book.
Citizen vs Citizen in order to maintain a balance life style. Mr. Hewitt present a questionable picture of our future. Recent attacks on media by government officials in the Justice Department bring more questions to the table, has the citizens of this country finally lost control.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Military > Intelligence & Espionage
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Arms Control
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > International > Security
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Terrorism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Levels of Government
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > International Relations