From the Back Cover
Your in-depth guide to analyzing and fine-tuning storage area network performance
Here, for the first time, is your complete resource for optimizing SAN performance and reliability in your organization. Whether you need to evaluate an existing system or design one from the ground up, this book provides a comprehensive, vendor-neutral collection of ideas, practices, guidelines, and frameworks for approaching performance-related issues. Dr. Huseyin Simitci expertly bridges the gap between the theory of performance analysis and the practice of storage system performance engineering, and includes a special case study section filled with real-world examples you can apply to your own SAN, starting today.
You’ll learn how to:
- Develop plans for managing SAN capacity, demand, and workload requirements
- Benchmark and configure SANs to allocate sufficient network resources for adequately managing data
- Analyze and tune bandwidth, speed, throughput, and performance
- Understand analytical modeling techniques and the use of simulation for performance analysis
- Establish guidelines for modeling each storage system layer
- Apply capacity planning techniques for storage systems and networks, taking into account performance analysis and price/performance considerations
- Review and select software for performance data collection and storage performance management
- Fine-tune and optimize the host system and application, storage subsystem, and storage network layers
About the Author
, PhD, is an engineering researcher at XIOtech Corporation and the author of several research papers devoted to high performance input/output systems and adaptive techniques in parallel file systems. His work contributed to the Scalable I/O Initiative and NSF-funded Grand Challenge programs.