I can't get enough of this band. Their first two albums, "North Hills" and "Nothing is Wrong" were both some of the best CDs I've heard in recent years. I found out earlier this year that they would be releasing a new album and I've had a countdown ever since. It was worth the wait. I'd put this ahead of their debut album and maybe just a hair behind "Nothing is Wrong". It's much more along the lines of their second album.
Here's a track by track review.
1. Just Beneath the Surface - 7/10 A great intro track. Fitting lyrics and title, because you realize after listening you're going to be getting in deeper.
2. From a Window Seat - 7/10 The first single off the album. This grew on me after a few listens. You find it gets stuck in your head very easily. Very lively and fun.
3. Just my Luck - 7/10 This is one of the weaker songs on the album to me. Very slow, but very moving. I can see how this would appeal to fans that favored the first album.
4. Someone Will - 8/10 This song has some cliche lines, but it's heartfelt. Lively, and some very fun basslines/harmonization. I enjoy this one a lot.
5. Most People - 10/10. My favorite song on the album, by far. The instruments are great, the vocals are great, and it's a fun song to listen to loud. I would have picked this as the first single.
6. Something in Common - 7/10 I'd put this along the same lines as Just my Luck. A good song, but a little slow when with the rest of the album. Great nonetheless.
7. Hey Lover - 8/10 This is a cover of another band, but it's great. Could have easily been written by Goldsmith. I like the back and forth vocals on it between the siblings. Piano is really nice here.
8. Bear Witness - 9/10 Another favorite. This song builds very well. A catchy chorus, and some really fun imagery within this song. Took me a couple listens to appreciate this, but it's very good.
9. Stories Don't End - 8/10 I find the songs that the album is named after aren't very good. This was an exception. A very wholesome song, albeit along the slow lines of some of the other tracks. It's a great medium between Bear Witness and From the Right Angle.
10. From the Right Angle - 10/10 My second favorite on the album. It starts strong and never lets go. Has great lyrics, fun rhythm, and is just a blast to listen to.
11. Side Effects- 8.5/10 For some reason I could tell the album was coming to an end by listening to this. It has a very good effect as one of the last songs. This song took some time to grow on me but I enjoy it quite a bit now that I've listened to it a few times.
12. Just Beneath the Surface (Reprise)- 7/10. A stripped down version of the first song on the album. Not much different to me.
Standouts: From a Window Seat, Most People, Bear Witness, From the Right Angle
Go buy this album!