- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Student's Guide to British American Genealogy Hardcover – Dec 15 1995
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From School Library Journal
Grade 7 Up?This volume explores why people trace their roots and includes a discussion of adopted children and a list of resources available to them (primarily for searching for birthparents). Chapters summarize English, Scottish, and Welsh history and traditions, describing names, nobility, clans, and heraldry, and the history of British immigration to America. Instructions are given on how to start a genealogical search. The last chapter addresses how to preserve what is found. Each section includes an extensive bibliography. While most students doing genealogical projects would not be going into the depths of research outlined here, the basic information should prove useful. Black-and-white reproductions of historical drawings and photographs appear throughout, along with a 16-page insert of full-color photographs that focus on Britain today. There is one problem with this title. While material about finding birthparents is important to adopted children, a book on genealogy of a specific ethnic group may not be the most appropriate place for a four-page list of resources for adoptees searching for biological family. Altogether, however, this is a well-written and rich resource for interested students.?Jane Gardner Connor, South Carolina State Library, Columbia
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.
This is a well-written and rich resource for interested students." -- School Library Journal, April 1996See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Education & Reference > Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Genealogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Bibliographies & Indexes > History
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Publishing & Books > Bibliographies & Indexes > Science
- Books > History > Americas > United States
- Books > History > Historical Study > Social History
- Books > History > United States
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Demography
- Books > Teens > Reference
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History
- Books > Textbooks > Reference