- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Surviving 1000 Centuries: Can We Do It? Hardcover – Sep 10 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the reviews:
"A good initial feeling for the thesis of the book can be obtained simply by reading the … chapters. … the authors turn to threats to survival from outside (from nearby supernovae to asteroid impact) and from inside (disease, seismic events, and climatic hazards), before turning to the current burning issue of climate change, both past and future. … This is a fascinating and challenging book which is published at just the right moment. It should be required reading for all politicians … ." (Robert Connon Smith, The Observatory, Vol. 129 (1210), June, 2009)
About the Author
Dr R M Bonnet and Dr L Woltjer are outstanding, internationally renowned scientists. During his long tenure at the European Space Agency, Dr Bonnet has directed the launch of 17 artificial scientific satellites, initiating the development of the Huygens probe placed on the NASA Cassini Saturn Orbiter which landed on Titan on 14 January 2005, developing the successful Mars Express mission and directing the SMART-1 European lunar mission. He is President of COSPAR and Executive Director of ISSI and has acquired a world reputation in the field of space politics. After 11 years at Columbia University, NY, Dr Woltjer returned to Europe as Director General of ESO for 13 years. Since then he has worked closely with the Observatories de Haute Provence in France and the University of Florence in Italy, was President of the International Astronomical Union and Chairman of the Space Science Advisory Committee of ESA for 4 years.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
How? Read the book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Future of Computing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Astronomy > Astronomy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics > Energy
- Books > Science & Math > Astronomy > Astronomy
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Climatology > Climate Changes
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Science & Math > Physics > Energy
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Futurology
- Books > Science & Math > Technology > Renewable Energy
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Environmental Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Ecotourism