- Amazon Student members save an additional 10% on Textbooks with promo code TEXTBOOK10. Enter code TEXTBOOK10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Systematic Reviews in Health Care: Meta-Analysis in Context Hardcover – Illustrated, Mar 5 2001
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The second edition of this best-selling book has been thoroughly revised and expanded to reflect the significant changes and advances made in systematic reviewing. New features include discussion on the rationale, meta-analyses of prognostic and diagnostic studies and software, and the use of systematic reviews in practice.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The major downside was a skinny statistical section that lacked depth (what was present was VERY clear however). Since the majority of the book is low-level, big-picture explanations of the principles of meta-analysis, I think that an expanded statistical section would not detract. In fact, because the rest of the book is so well explained, I suspect that most readers would have a good appetite for implementing the ideas presented. Those not inclined to read more details on implementation could just skip this section. In particular, I wished the authors had discussed how to combine simple proportions and rates across studies. This is arguably the simplest form of meta-analysis and the one for which nearly no advice exists to guide practise! There are tons of ways to transform and combine rates/proportions and these should have been developed, compared and constrasted for different scenarios. Similarly, I wish that even more Bayesian methods would be presented.
Lastly, the software section is old. New ideas using R, Revman, Bugs and other FREE software should be encouraged. Software that costs big dollars is probably not the best thing to present in an international book. Everyone should be able to reproduce the results at their home. Free software ensures this.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Administration & Medicine Economics > Public Health
- Books > Medical Books > Research
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Medicine
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biostatistics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Public Health
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Research
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Anesthesiology
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Administration & Policy > Public Health
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Special Topics > Essays
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Research
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Biology